Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Borg (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Borg
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Voyager ... The Omega was said to be the Ultmate Perfection. I wonder: What if the Borg get their grubby little, cybernetic paws on 1 stable Molecule of Omega ... They would worship it like a God, and maybe cease everything, because they have acheived perfection ! Or would it just stregthen their resolve to assimilate everything in sight !

*shrug*

------------------
-There can be only Nine !! ..mmm.. maybe 10 !!

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm imagining that said particle would merely be added to their toolbox.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be a monumental task, with the Federation and the Dominion, but they probably will succeed to assimilate the entire Milky Way, in the long run. Then, the only thing they can do, is to go to other galaxy's and assimilate those.
PS: The Universe isn't really infinite. It's like walking around a globe: You never reach the end, so it looks infinite to you. But to an observer, it's definetely not infinite!

I like the idea of another Borg-like collective. However, I don't think they will fight eachother.
They will combine to be even closer to Perfection

------------------
So small,
so innocent,
so young,
so delicately done,
grown up in your poison.

"Little Baby Swastikkka"
-Skunk Anansie

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you know the Universe is not infinite?

You should quickly tell all of the Astromomers ands Scientists and Physicists who've spent their entire lives learning about the Galaxy!

They'll probably want to know!

------------------
I bet when Neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UM: I think he could have a point.. How do we know it is infinate. THo' I think it is !! (always the devil's advocate)

Ppl .. for millions of years thought the earth was flat !! Who's to say the universe isn't a type of planet in itself part of a great Extra-Universe??

Interesting concept, eh?

------------------

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, by definition, the universe is all there is. "Uni"-verse as opposed to, say, polyverse.

Of course, recent thinking in physics suggests that there is the possibility of other such structures, all adrift on the quantum sea of possibility. (To be flowery about it.) But in this case, it isn't so much a problem with our understanding of the universe, but merely with our semantics. Personally, as grammatically incorrect as it may be, I suggest we stick to universe, as polyverse suggests a reality totally dominated by Pauly Shore.

Ha ha!

Of course, in comics it is always called the multiverse, which lacks the rather poor pun.

At any rate, as far as I know, current thinking says that the universe is indeed a finite, closed system. But it is finite in such a way that if you were to travel in one direction, you would never hit the end. Though you might eventually return to where you started. For example, imagine a tribe of adventurous cavemen, who decide to travel to the edge of the Earth. They would never find it, no matter how many times they went around. They might conclude, after having traveled so far, that the Earth must surely be infinite. Today, we have the advantage of a perspective they were unaware of.

Hmm, I get the sense that I'm running away with the topic.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they'd probably notice eventually. "Hey, didn't we go through that ocean a few months back?"

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they're cavemen.

------------------
I bet when Neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Cavemen would never say "Didn't we go through that ocean a few months back?" They'd say "Ooga-booga thag walla bok dok bunga doo". :-)

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Sol .. You make a very interesting point .. So .. Perspectively speaking .. the universe could be round !!

------------------

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:

warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the Borg are not all that powerful, I'm guessing a Voth city ship probably can take on 10 or more cubes. The Federation can stop a full scale invasion of 600 cubes, assuming that Starfleet could organize all of their 30,000 or so ships and 50 ships to one cube. The doiminion could stop a Borg invasion of over 2100 cubes assuming that the Doiminion uses around 65,000 ships and 30 ships per cube. but after invasions of that scale, the Federation and Doiminion will cease to be major powers. realistically speaking, the Borg should be able to conquer the Galaxy within 2000-5000 yrs if they continue picking off 1 race at a time. A major coalition involving most of the races in the Galaxy should be able to take on the Borg easily.
IP: Logged
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Problem is .. you kill one cube, another takes it's place .. and so on, and so on, until all 50 ships per cube are destroyed ... then more cubes come !!!!

The Borg have more cubes than ships of the Federation. The Federation had to send a full fleet to defeat ONE Borg Cube in FC ... Borg could send a fleet of its own, one cube for every ship. The Feds would be toast !

I'd love to see a movie about that !! A whole fleet of Cube comes to Alpha Quad - invades the Federation/sub-plot Voyager comes home in the midst of the war - contact Species 8472 - ally up with the devils .. and the Fed/8472 win the day !!

Cuz without 8472, the Feds would be the El Aurian all over again !

------------------

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:

warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know the Borg have more cubes than the Federation have ships. Maybe not, i think the Borg habve somewhere between 10,000-15,000 cubes. Anyway the first Contact fleet was around 20-25 ships and most them were advanced ships
IP: Logged
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Borg use those temporal rift tricks more effective, the Feds wouldn't even know they were toast!
Fly right back to WW2 for example, and assimilate the whole Earth. About the "what's-the-technologic-advantage-of-that" arguments: They would wipe out the most important member of the Federation! Maybe without us humans, the UFP would never have been formed!

------------------
"Si vis pacem, para bellum." (If you want peace, prepare for war)
- Vegetius
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The main problem is the Borg ability to adapt. Send fifty ships per cube, and you just give them that much more information to adapt with. One shot at each cube, and they'll have adapted to all your weapons. The key is to interrupt the collective consiousness. It's the only way to keep the adaptations from spreading from one ship to the rest of the collective.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps