Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Possible origins of the Mirror Universe (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Possible origins of the Mirror Universe
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, as Rom found out when he got really confused.

The idea that the Mirror Universe sprung out of Earth's conquest by the Romulans was put forth in an old comic-book story, set (in our universe) just after Star Trek III, and whose plotline was immediately contradicted by Star trek IV.

In 'Dark Mirror' it seemed as though the Mirror Universe had always been more savage, as evidenced by Alt-Picard's version of Shakespeare, but this could have been due to USSR-style revision of history and literature.

Shatner's stories, at least as far as "Spectre," have not yet revealed any origin for the Mirror Universe, as far as I can remember.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the interesting thing... If the two universes did share a common timeline, we know that they split at least two centuries before the current Trek time (since the UFP was never formed). However, even after all that time, the same people, for the most part, exist in both timelines. In a normal mulitple timeline progression (like the various alternates seen in "Parallels"), this wouldn't happen. The longer the timelines were apart, the more dissimilar they would become. There is obviously something about these two timelines that keeps them intertwined and constantly connected.

I think I agree that the two timelines were never actually a single timeline. If the two are so closely tied together, despite being separate for so long, there's no reason to assume that they had to split apart at any time. It's quite possible that they have maintained this relationship... well, forever.

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Stued Gagh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of Two.$$$Spoilers.In the Shatner books(Dark Victory)it's speculated by BOTH Spocks that the timelines were the same leading up to First Contact.The reason for the difference is that they(Humanity,Vulcans)forsee a grave threat among the stars.What is the threat you ask?Well lets just say that a certain group of people from the Delta Quadrant do not exist shortly after First Contact.

------------------
I'd give my right eye for a bowl of fresh Gagh.

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps