Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Interesting discovery about the E-D....... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Interesting discovery about the E-D.......
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what he means is that they only get an urge to mate during the mating-season, not all the time, like humans or dolphins. But their motives can still be to do it because it feels good.

------------------
-Have some coffee, it's good!
-Ah don't want none o'your god-damn coffee!!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, you have to compare 'intelligence' to 'religious "beliefs"' when talking about the sex=babies thing.

Oh I want to know if the cetateans have uniforms or communicators...

*communicator beep* La Forge: "Excuse me Counsellor"
"La Forge here"
Dolphin Lt.: "Eeee e e e eeeeee e e eeeee e eeeeeeeeeee e e e?"
La Forge: "No, try jefferies tube 11, access shaft 24. Then try using an inverse anti-lepton decoupler instead of an pre-forced soliton degauser... - that should fix your salinity problem... La Forge Out"

;o)

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

TerraZ
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the hump-back whales from ST IV were at least partly sentient, since aliens took the trouble of sending a very powerful probe just to contact them... Personaly, I don't care if it's realistic or not, but I think it would be nice if some species of cetaceans were recognized as sentient by the Federation, kind off like in the Ringworld Saga, were they were given mechanical arms to help them further develop their society...

In ST, they wouldn't really be Starfleet officers as such and would be confined to water tanks, but might act as consultant on some topics or even philosophers... Think what a whale would have to say on the purpose of the human race, knowing what it did to them?

------------------
-If you ask me, I think continuity is highly overrated...
*Brannon Braga*

-So, you do it out of hate! Good! That's an emotion I can trust...
*Megatron - Beast Wars*

IP: Logged
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They also appeared sentient when Spock mind-melded with Gracie.

------------------
Navigator-"Heading, Sir?"
Kirk-"Out there...somewhere...out thatta-way."--Star Trek: TMP

Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps they comunicate telepahicaly, with some of the crew members say counselor troi.

------------------
I am not responsible for the stupidity of other people.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN: You're thinking of Dark Mirror. In it, a dolphin is on the Enterprise to study cosmic strings or something like that. His species isn't from Earth, and this guy is in tune with his surroundings. He's the only one that notices when they slip into the mirror universe.

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
was there an "evil bisexual dolphin" too

Well what if a cetacean WANTED to become an officer in starfleet!?!

"eeee eeeeeeeee eeeeee e ee e eeee"
translation "Starfleet has become a Human's only club... present company excepted."

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

D-S
Ex-Member

Nothing to do with dolphins but has anyone noticed that on Page 23 of the TNG tech manual it says that the Ent-D has Ablative armour
TerraZ
Ex-Member

Isn't it supposed to be some kind of "ablative hull coating"? I'm not sure, haven't read the thing in at least 3 months... It's probably meant to be some kind of hull protection against space hazard like micro-meteorites or the like...

------------------
-If you ask me, I think continuity is highly overrated...
*Brannon Braga*

-Let the Fates land where they may!
*Megatron - Beast Machines*

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I objected to taking the Tech manual's mention of the Nova class as canon.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ablative hull coating is similar to accusative hull coating, but only used w/ certain prepositions. :-)

------------------
Lisa: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Bart: "Not if you called them 'stench blossoms'..."
-The Simpsons

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't take that accusative tone - remember that canonically, only the Enterprises can have pre- or postpositions... Or just possibly the new Defiant as well (although mobile position is more common, at least against the Borg). Hmm.. Perhaps pre-and postpositions are indicative of ablative armor? I must still say that ablative armor was first introduced in Past Tense.

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sound you hear is one thousand hands hitting one thousand foreheads.

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the sentient dolphins in the ST universe were not sentient to begin with, but were raised to sentience by human genetic engineers, a la the "Uplift" series by David Brin (especially "Startide Rising")?

------------------
Dane

"...and there was war in heaven..." The Bible, Revelation 12:7

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly, but given the Federation's general reluctance to engage in that sort of behavior, it seems unlikely.

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps