Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek 2000 - Live Long and Fester? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Star Trek 2000 - Live Long and Fester?
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Another reason why I don't watch TOS is because I grew up on TNG. Most of us here did. Some of the more senior members of the board grew up on TOS. And in a few years there are going to be people who grew up on DS9 and VGR. These people won't like TNG as much as they like DS9, just like people who grew up on TNG don't like TOS as much as TNG, DS9, or VGR. And it's kind of the same way for people who grew up on TOS. They prefer TOS and believe that TNG, DS9, and VGR aren't on par with TOS.

Well, I didn't grow up on TNG. I got interested around when Voyager started (or a little before, to be precise). I'll freely admit that TNG is my least favourite (although I still love it dearly), but TOS, DS9, and Voyager all take their turns being my favourite series.

But no one ever said I was normal.

quote:
I will, however, quit watching for good if Picard ever gets a male love-interest.

Why?

quote:
The producers of Star Trek give the modern Star Trek fans enough technology-ships, technobabble-happy.

Hence the major forum here being Starships.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TOS has lasted 30 years .... You can't argue with that kinda track record ...

I think that maybe you should record those original eps and see what we're all talking about, Fabrux before striking out so vehemently at Savar.

He's got a point ... Back then .. It wasn't about making the ratings .. Well.. not so much anyway.. it was about making a show that was different than anything else on TV. That's what it was about ... Seeking out strange new worlds was something that most Picture Studios were afraid to touch back then.

TOS has a loyal following for a reason .. TNG too ... it grew on us TOS ppl after a while.

Now .. I'm a really big Voyager fan... I like the show, I've been loyal to it since Ep #1 .. But let me tell you, there are simply some repeats I WILL not watch ... TOS .. I'll watch whatever repeat happens to be on, and I'll watch the full hour of it .. why? Cuz it still has that sense of freshness to it .. You know that when they did that ep, it was the first time anyone had DARED to do it in that day!

Voyager? DS9, and even some TNG, were recaps of an old theme based on the Original Series .. sure there had to be some arcs, but that's not what I'm talking about .. I'm talking about eps that had nothing to do with one another,,,, but still had the same type of story line ..

VOYAGER and DS9 are both great series !! I still record old eps of DS9 every Monday .. and I watch the ones that interest me .. but here's something that I find interesting which tends to back up Savar's claims here ...

For me PERSONALLY, I record all 4 series .. TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOYAGER religeously...

I'll watch every TOS ep .. no matter what, and I've seen them all about 50 times each..

TNG: I'll watch about 80% of the eps .. the good ones ..

DS9: I'll watch about 75% of the eps I record, so long as they keep my interest ..

Voyager: Very rarely will I watch a repeat !!

The freshness of the stories aren't as crisp the closer you get to the year 2000. The story-lines almost seem forced out of the writers ..

I think that is the general idea Baloo and Savar are trying to convey here.

(and I wanted this to be a short post)

Savar --> Smiley's --> : and )

Welcome aboard!

------------------
-There can be only Nine !! ..mmm.. maybe 10 !!

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited March 20, 2000).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps