Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Books (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Books
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About Ships of the Star Fleet: This are a series of two books by Todd Guenther, who also worked on the official Enterprise D blueprints. Volume 1 covers the Constitution class in great detail, with articles on each variant: 1st and 2nd pilot versions, production version, "star trek II" (unproduced series) version, refit, as well as several in between conjectural classes mixing hulls and engines. Each class has at least a top and side view, some front views, some 3/4 views, class emblems, and full specs and history. The drawings are of extremely high quality: you won't find any better. Interestingly, the names and numbers follow those given in Franz Joseph's Starfleet Technical Manual. The same coverage is given to the Miranda variants, including a conjectural "TOS, pre-refit" version. The last part is about USS Belknap, which is like a refit E with a wider neck (front to back) and the engines attached to the bottom of the hull. This part includes big fold-out drawings including cutaways, and details of power conduits, weapons and defensive systems, computers, etc. This is by far the best book on starships ever, and is much better than any "official publication. It's out of print: if you can find a copy, BUY IT!!!! Volume 2 is about the "perimeter action ships," which look like the top half of the refit E primary hull with a notch cut in the front and some long funky looking nacelles. It's not quite as interesting since it's completely noncanon. But it is available now at the barnes and noble site for $12. Avoid the Excelsior/Ingraham class blueprints since this is not the canon Excelsior but a weird hybrid with an Enterprise primary hull.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actualy, I believe there is a third volume as well, that covers a number of other ships. Unfortunately, I don't have it with me at the moment, so all I can tell you about it is "it's red."

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's called "Starship Prototype" (I don't have it here now.). Although the format is similar, it's not written by the same guy. In fact, in my copy there's a little note about some copyright conflict with the author of "Ships of the Star Fleet." This book is all Constitution refit-based kitbashes but it's pretty well done.

------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The book for sale is called "Frigates and Cruisers" or something to that effect. Is this I,II or III?

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

If it's one of the two "Ships of the Star Fleet" books, it's probably volume one, which had Constitutions, Mirandas, and Belknap. Volume two covers "perimeter action ships." There is no volume 3. Starship Prototype, which is not part of the same series, covers cruisers, scouts, shuttle carriers, and other types.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, Masao's right.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps