Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek: The Miniseries/TV movie/inflatable couch. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek: The Miniseries/TV movie/inflatable couch.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been looking through a lot of speculation regarding the mythic fifth series. What should it be about, when should it start, etc. One idea that gets tossed out every now and then is to do a miniseries or TV movie. This has started me thinking. Could such a thing be done? Should it?

The primary argument behind the concept, as I see it, is that such a setting would be cheaper than a series and would allow for the exploration of themes not suited to a weekly show. But is this true? How many cutting edge made-for-TV movies have you seen lately? And could a Trek production get picked up by anyone other than UPN?

I can only think of a handful of similar shows/movies. There was the V miniseries, of course. (Both of them.) There were the various Alien Nation movies. How well did these do?

I guess my question is, can television support this sort of science fiction? If so, can Trek fit into the format?

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Star Trek movie 2, 3 and 4 trilogy thingy worked out pretty well. In a TV movie series it might even do better than that.

A miniseries might just be an even better idea! It would mean that we might just not see episodes that are copies of earlier seasons just put into different coating. And, when worked out right, it would mean more story in less time. I like it!

------------------
"Look! I'm quoting myself."
- me

(-=\V/=-)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yes. But can television as it currently stands support such a program without relegating it to cable or UPN?

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm... I really don't know.

I know some of our local channels do show miniseries (of TV movies). But I don't think this is the case in all countries.

------------------
"Look! I'm quoting myself."
- me

(-=\V/=-)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, Paramount/Viacom only cares about the $$$$$, and a miniseries is probably not profitable enough.

*If* they make TV-movies, I hope they don't think the same thing as with some other ST-movies: "Let's use less technobabble and treknology in a movie, so we don't confuse the non-Trekkie public."

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why wouldn't we want less technobabble?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Flansburgh: "This song is so old that it's actually featured on our brand new record."
John Linnell: "It's one of those year 2000 problems."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, right. "Dumbed-down" Trek. Just what we need... :-�

------------------
Harold: "You're missing the point!"
Red: "Well, I don't like points."
-The Red Green Show

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think my intelligence is insulted when they talk about planets with tachyon cores.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Flansburgh: "This song is so old that it's actually featured on our brand new record."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose it all comes down to whether you think Trek is about drama, plotlines, characterization, and moral and ethical dilemmas, or about dimutonic phlogiston generators, biradial axion depolarizers, and muonic gluxifrication assemblages.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, well, that's a point, Frank. However, a complete removal of technobabble would be laughable. Every time there's a spatial anomaly, it'll be like on Red Dwarf when the Cat reports that there's a "big swirly thing" coming... *L*

------------------
"The search and the arrest provided several hours of entertainment in the neighborhood."
-"Worm Suspect Arrested", Wired News

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D'you know they originally planned DS9 "Emissary I & II" to be a TV-movie?

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, it was a TV movie. Well, where I was it was aired as such.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

TSN: Haven't we had enough spatial anomolies anyway, though? There's even enough real astronomical phenomona to deal with without resorting to made-up nonsense.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Frank: What makes you think they'd stop at the made-up stuff? They'll probably tell the writers not to use any word that's more than three syllables or eight letters, or something...

------------------
"The search and the arrest provided several hours of entertainment in the neighborhood."
-"Worm Suspect Arrested", Wired News

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, I'm assuming a best-case scenario here.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps