Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Novelizations (semi)canon ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Novelizations (semi)canon ?
Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we assume novelizations of aired episodes and movies as (semi)canon? I know that novelizations contain more events than the on-screen version, are these based on cut scenes?

------------------
"Alpha Centauri is a beautiful place to visit, you ought to see it" - Kirk to 1969 USAF officer Fellini, "Tomorrow is Yesterday" (TOS)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some scenes in the books may be based on cut scenes, but some of the novelizations contain things that are out and out made up.

For instance, the novelization of Equinox, I'm told, gives us a close up glimpse of Voyager's dedication plaque as Janeway holds it. The verbage on the plaque in the book is completely wrong.

As far as the stories go, I say, if they don't contradict what we see on screen, why not?

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this case then such as the novel descent we have a scene with the crew of the USS Saladin killed by the Borg. Therefore should this be added into the star trek canon?

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was this scene supposed to be in the televised episode? If not, then it's not canon. If it was filmed but not shown, then I suppose you could call it semi-canon. I personally wouldn't, though, since I'm a firm believer in "If it's not on the screen (or in official publications), it's not canon."

------------------
Captain Tenille: "Oh, Simpson, you're like the son I never had."
Homer: "And you're like the father I never visit."

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, reading some of the introduction to the first Chronology, they say that they considered adding some key elements of the books in the chronology. They opted not to because they couldn't decide what to add and felt they should stick to the original idea of a book about the shows. I'd say they sould be considered semi-canon if the Okudas almost put them in the book.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I myself consider novels written by such people as Jeri Taylor semi-canon. I also consider "A Stitch In Time" to be semi-canon as it was written by the only person who could ever write Garak's background, Andrew J. Robinson.

------------------
"When you realized that your website is your business and your software can't handle the traffic, that was an epiphany."
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Robert Wolfe? He could write it!

Anyway, I say "semicanon" insofar as the stuff that comes from the show being 100% canon and the rest 0%.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about this one... Is the CD of Vic Fontaine/whats his name canon??

Andrew

------------------
"chocolate cherries allamanda" - Datura, Tori Amos

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe that any novels or games are semi-canon what-so-ever. The only published materials that should be considered semicanon are the encyclopedia's, chronologies, or technical manuals which are written by the same production staff that writes the technical stuff on the show.

------------------
Sisko: "We run alright, run right at them."
Smiley: "Ah, Pattern Suicide."
Federation Starship Datalink - New and improved Starship Database!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You canon zealots depress me. You really do...

------------------
"When you realized that your website is your business and your software can't handle the traffic, that was an epiphany."

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Fabrux... then again you're probably being serious.

------------------
Sisko: "We run alright, run right at them."
Smiley: "Ah, Pattern Suicide."
Federation Starship Datalink - New and improved Starship Database!

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say who cares whats canon and whats not. If you like something then you can consider what ever you like to be 'official.' It's all made up anyway. Just have fun with it. That's what it's for. Entertainment people! It's not supposed to be life. (Besides, life is much more fun than that if you got the right job.)

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the point of canon is that it's the stuff the writers are supposed to consider "real" when they're writing the show. When we pay attention to canon, we're looking at the stuff that is most likely going to be part of Trek in future episodes/movies.

------------------
"How many Libraries of Congress per second can your software handle?"

Fructose
Member # 309

Well, that makes sense. I just think it's weird how people get so bent out of shape about what's canon and what's not.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not entirely true. The powers that be do not have a "canon" in the same sense that we do.

------------------
"Twentieth century go and sleep.
Really deep. We won't blink
Your eyes are burning holes through me.
I'm not scared I'm outta here.
I'm not scared. I'm outta here.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Please?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps