Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Janice Rand

Author Topic: Janice Rand
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rand was a transporter chief in TMP.
BTW: Can anyone explain me what this square means?

Grace Lee Whitney played a commander in STIII (watching the homecoming of the Enterprise in a Starbase-lounge). Ok, maybe that wasn't Rand.

Then Rand appears in ST4 wearing a NCO-Uniform, but a few people and the credits say that she was a commander in ST4.

In ST6 she was a Lt. JG aboard the Excelsior.

And in "Flashback" (same time as ST6) she was a Lt. Cmdr?

Any thoughts?

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the part of the costume designers? Apparently not...

------------------
"To disarm the people [is] the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen TMP in many years, so I don't know what that sqare means. If it's on both shoulders, than it's just part of the uniform.

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Stith, Titan A.E.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is on both shoulders. As this pins differ widely from the usual rank-system, used for the epaulets, I think they have a special meaning, and are not just part of the uniform.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited July 06, 2000).]

Savar
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were to hazard a guess, I would say the square denotes a Chief Petty Officer. Rand WAS the transporter chief, if I remember correctly. This device is very similar to the Petty Officer pin used on the later uniform jackets. This is a nice clear photo of a TMP uniform BTW, where is it from?

I'm thinking we could check my hypothesis by running the movie and looking closely at Chief DiFalco's uniform. She replaced Ilia after V'ger zapped her. DiFalco also wore a tan uniform. If she also has shoulder boards with this device on them, the Petty Officer theory would be well supported.

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well maybe she was an NCO from TOS all the way through till somewhere between Star Trek: IV and VI - which is really quite a few years.

So she could have been at the top of the NCO's - i.e. "Commander" in NCO ranks... then as she said in Flashback, it took her 3 years to become an Ensign... I guess she had to go back and take and officer's course!?!

Also, because of her experience... maybe she was bumped up the ranks quicker than usual...

Andrew

------------------
"chocolate cherries allamanda" - Datura, Tori Amos

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Rand a First Officer on the Excelsior? I thought it was mentioned somewhere.....

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
If I were to hazard a guess, I would say the square denotes a Chief Petty Officer.

The book "The making of TMP" says that it denotes chief, but it is not clear if that means Transporter chief or Chief Petty Officer.

quote:
This device is very similar to the Petty Officer pin used on the later uniform jackets.

Nope, the square denotes Ables'man on the ST2-7 uniforms.

quote:
This is a nice clear photo of a TMP uniform BTW, where is it from?

It's from the Fact Files.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps