Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » ST The animated series (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ST The animated series
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fire-while-cloak BoP: Valeris said there was just the prototype. Perhaps that's all there was, and no kind of blueprints or anything...?

------------------
"Fragile. Do not drop"
--posted on a Boeing 757

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one's that stupid.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not even the Klingons...?

------------------
"Fragile. Do not drop"
--posted on a Boeing 757

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the cloak, the movie did show that a BoP with the new one could still be detected...the traditional ones were probably more effective.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Gandalf DIES in the mines of Moria, but will later be RESURRECTED in GLORIFIED form having triumphed over EVIL, an obvious literary ALLUSION to that movie where the guy comes back as a DOG." - The Fellowship of the Ring

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Frank's hit on the answer. Sure, the bird of prey could fire while cloaked. It could also get blown up while cloaked, as the movie demonstrated. I would imagine that the Klingons and Romulans are always developing better cloaks to counter UFP sensor advancements, and vice versa.

------------------
"If Picard was set loose on a Monopoly board, he'd try and establish peaceable diplomatic relations with Marvin Gardens and give St. James Place wide berth so that its culture could develop without interference."
--
L. Fitzgerald Sjoberg
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm the passenger, and I ride and I ride.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They detected it because of its impulse trail, which they said all ships have. Although, now that I think about it, I can't recall whether they said that it was detectable through the cloak because it was weakened (by weapons use). I don't think they did. Meaning that, if a way has been found to cloak the impulse trail, the plan is still viable. Or, they just don't use impulse while cloaked (which they must not be doing anyway, if it's still detectable).

Either way, the method used to detect the ST6 ship didn't seem to be special to that ship...

------------------
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra, and then, suddenly, it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
-Matt Groening

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the dialogue from the movie said something about the Bird of Prey expending an enormous amount of power by firing weapons while still cloaked. As such, the cloaking device was unable to fully mask the plasma trail.

------------------
694 consecutive rejections by women since January 1993.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This "arms race" between cloaks and sensors is also mentioned in either the Encyclopedia or the Chronlogy. In the same way, US "stealth" technology could be considered a form of cloaking device in that it made aircraft invisible to sensors (radars). Of course, as sensors have developed, the cloak is no longer as effective. Stealth aircraft can also fire (drop bombs) when cloaked.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps