Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Books

Author Topic: Books
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need some info on these books.What are they about? Are they any good, or a waste of money:

ST Sketchbook:The Movies (Gen & FC)
ST Phase II (making of)
ST:TNG The Cont. Mission
ST Sketchbook: TOS
The making of Star Trek (TOS)
A vision of the future: ST: VOY

I got the titles from the bibliogarphy in the ency.

------------------
MS Windows Error 014: Unexplained error - Please tell us how this happened
---

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have the first three, have seen the fourth, and have it on reliable sources that the fifth one is a must-have classic. I can't tell about the Voyager book, though. (It's a secret, you see.. )

The TNG sketchbook provides nice info on what was NOT used in Generations and First Contact, plus some excellent reference pictures for the friends of the E-B or the new FC starships. Beyond the pretty pictures, there's some material on the design process as well. The book doesn't overlap with any other book I know of, so perhaps it is a good buy.

ST:Phase II is a comprehensive story of that abortive TV show, with black-and white pics and some color pages on the sets and designs (not very stylish, but interesting in any case), lots of background stuff on ST:TMP, and full story outlines for the first 13 Phase II episodes that never came to be, as well as two early treatises of the TMP script. If you are interested in this piece of Trek history, then the book has it all. If not, you are missing nothing that would touch on the other parts of the Trek genre.

TNG:TCM is a treasure chest of background stories and high-quality pictures. While some of the material overlaps with other books like the Encyclopedia or the TNG Companion, this book is a good buy if you can afford its hardcover splendor. If you have the TNG Companion already, you might wish to consider before paying for just the color pictures and intriguing backstage photos.

The TOS sketchbook has plenty of nostalgic material that isn't really covered anywhere else in picture form. If you like the TNG version, then you'll probably love this one as well. Just remember to protect the easily tearable front cover somehow.

The Making of ST is a smaller hardcover with the full scoop on TOS, as told by people involved in making it happen. Unlike TNG:TCM, it lacks the color-picture splendor, and depicts an universe that has been largely outdated by the later shows. If that doesn't stop you, go ahead and buy it, too.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I'm not going to talk about them I'm just going to list how much I paid for each one...

I only really by the big books when they have been slashed in price... usually around Christmas time...

Prices are in Australian $ so its even cheaper in $US

ST Sketchbook:The Movies (Gen & FC) - haven't got it
ST Phase II (making of) - $9 from $35
ST:TNG The Cont. Mission - $20 from $80
ST Sketchbook: TOS $7 from $25
The making of Star Trek (TOS) - haven't got it
A vision of the future: ST: VOY - haven't got it

Plus some others:

History in pictures (both) $9 each - from $60 each
Legends of the Ferengi $1 from $15
First Contact story books 20 cents from $5.00
Blueprints $14 from ??$40??
Star Trek Compendium/Companion? $7.50 from $30
Klingon for the Galactic Traveller $5 from $20
The Science of Star Trek (A good read actually) $5 from $20!

GREAT stuff.

Anyone else get any bargins??

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got the titles listed... I will admit to feeling cheated by the Voyager book, but other than that, no complaints. I especially love the behind-the-scenes and making-of type books, and the Phase II book was especially interesting...
But that's just me.

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps