Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Starship Officers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starship Officers
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've seen at least one admiral wearing yellow.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember this admiral, he was the head of Starfleet Security. He was the one who forbid Sisko from taking the Defiant into the Gamma Quadrant to get Odo and Garak from the Tal Shiar/Obsidian Order taskforce.

Obviously Sisko went anyway.

IP: Logged
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Name was Toddman, IIRC. He also ordered Eddington to sabotage the Deffie's cloak.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Defiant had two tactical consoles, actually, and I believe Worf and Kira were usually on them when both were aboard the ship.

------------------
Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--
Ambrose Bierce
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! It's useless to struggle.

Amadeus
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Chekov was the gunner/tactical/security officer for the original series. For season one, there was a security officer in Chekov's place that Kirk promoted rapidly, until he left, when Chekov came in season two. I'm not too sure about this, but fairly certain.

------------------
Creator of Project Phoenix
[email protected]

IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, no, you're pretty much completly wrong. Sorry.

Season 1 of TOS went through a revolving door set of navigators. The one in, oh you know, the one with the poity sticks making people happy episode, with computer being evil that Kirk destroys with bad writing, that one, he appeared again.

But most if the other navigators were there for an episode, argued with someone, then dissapeared.

The job of the navigator was to program courses to various places, and other boring blah. The helmsman actually steared the ship. The command would go "Mr Chekov, set a course for Starbase 3; Mr Sulu, ahead warp factor 4". They then realised that, wiyth computers and whatnot, the Navigator (and communications) officers had pretty much bugger all to do, so they merged them with other jobs in TOS.

Sulu as Helmsman was also responsible for firing weapons, most of the time.

For the first movie, Checkov had been promoted, and transferred positions. He was now chief of security, and chief tactical officer. Which is why he fired the Photorps in that movie. When he returned to the Enterprise in TWOK, Kirk stuck him at tactical.

For the rest of the movies, he gradually snuck around to sit at the front again. Presumably he stayed Chief of security, but preferred the view at the front.

It's worring though that the chief of security didn't know that a phaser set on kill sets of internal alarms, but oh well.

BTW, I'm amazed I remembered that Worf and Kira sat at tactical on the Defiant. I don't look out for that sort of stuff. Although Odo running communications in "The Adversary" stuck out a bit. And was hilarious.

Oh well, yay me!

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Worf was some kind of "Bridge Officer" -- that is, if Data called out sick, he could fill in at Ops, etcetra. A "jack of all trades" - what station DIDN'T we see him at? Conn, Ops, Tactical, Science!

Another position that I would imagine is on most Starfleet ships:

a legal officer (unless lawyers have been outlawed by the 24th century ... )

------------------
How stupid do you have to be to play Russian roulette with a semi-automatic?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I never understood is that, normally, there weren't "extra" officers hanging around the bridge near each station. And yet, every time one of the regular officers had to leave, there always happened to be someone ready to take their place...

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe their were some chairs behind the viewscreen, and all the replacement guys would just sit their, watching their favourite offices having another wacky adventure, and wondering exactly how they would get out of it this week. Then, whenever anyone stood up, they'd have a quick game of rock, paper, and scissors, and whoever won ran out and sat in the vacated seat.

Maybe.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, Psy ...

Actually, I would imagine that when a senior officer is summoned away from their posts, they call down to engineering or some auxillary control area (not neccessarily call ... maybe tap a button to signal that a replacement for whichever station is needed), and someone jumps on the turbolift and comes on up!

------------------
You wouldn't understand ... it's a Jeep thing

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, no, because someone would always sit down right away...

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Ok, ok ... you figured it out ... they're psychic!

Hell, maybe they're all hiding in the head ...

------------------
HowsaboutdemO's?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps