Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Braga 3, Star Trek 0 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Braga 3, Star Trek 0
Savar
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just read in The Magazine that Brannon Braga got a three year contract from Paramount to co-develop the new Star Trek tv series with Rick Berman. That about does it for me, folks. This twerp couldn't come up with something original if his life depended on it. The fifth series will likely be some insipid space-opera with clich�d plot lines and two-dimensional characters, the hallmark of a Braga creation.

I can't wait to see how low the ratings get for this next gem.....

------------------

IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did someone call for an assassin? Leave it to me, I'll have your dead body in 24 Hrs or the next one's free!!!! Just contact me at Assassins R Us!!!! Here's my Card.......

*runs off*

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just love today's optimistic youth, don't you?

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, especially considering that Braga has never written any worthwhile Trek episodes or movies, and that Voyager was at its worst with him at the helm.

Oh, wait, Braga has written some of the more popular Trek episodes and movies, and most fans consider the Braga years to be Voyager's best. Or does anyone really think that season two was better than season five or six?

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, you get no disagreement from me on that point. But does the man write the show by himself?

Me, I never like to judge a thing before I see it. It's too close to prejudice.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, what I was saying was that I think Braga's antichrist status is undeserved.

------------------
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh, I am going to wait before commenting on 5. I think Voyager could do better, but it could do worse (like a whole season of "Fair Havens" and "Spirit Folk")

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm personally looking forward to the new series. Could it not be that Braga was following a certain set of rules that needed to be adhered to in order to write for Voyager .. and some of his stuff wasn't too bad.

I think given some added creative freedom, his stuff can be quite good. Let's face it, a ship stranded alone in the Delta Quadrant can only foster so much without leaving a ton of arcs WIDE OPEN and unfinished.

Last season ($poilers here if you haven't seen it) was little too submerse in the surreal. I mean the Spirit folk ep and such ... Not my bag of tea!! I would have prefered stories that forward the progress of their journey home. What ever happened to going where no one has gone before and exploring .. making first contact without a war ensuing .. etc.. I think that's been lost over that last few season (meeting with 8472 aside).

I think with the new series, the writers, whoever they may be, will have much more freedom to storytell.

------------------
-There can be only Nine !! ..mmm.. maybe 10 !!

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited September 17, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I don't understand your argument. Voyager, because of its setting, surely has more creative freedom than any other Trek series, no? How could a show set in the Alpha Quadrant, as it appears series 5 will be, have more elbow room than that?

------------------
--
E. E. Cummings

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My argument is this. Voyager has no time to explore really. Every story MUST end with Voyager taking off to go back home .. there is absolutely no deviation from that, and if there was, it would not be believable.

The "Next star to the right and straight on till morning" theme is thrown right out to lunch. They are too pressed for time.

Yes, they have a whole quadrant of brand new aliens and alien territories to explore.. but these are species and places, at least in this series, that can never be explored again. Cuz they do not have the time to foster any relations with new worlds unless the species has the technology to span the distance betweent he delta and alpha quadrant .. like species 8472 or the Borg and both those species non-allied
Think of it. Any arcs that involved a re-occuring species, are or were arcs involving the Hirogen, Kazons, 8472, Vadians, and the Borg. All enemies!! Allies?? NONE .. at least none that stuck around for more than one ep.

.. they meet and leave.. and that takes away from all the Character development creativity that we see in DS9 and TNG. And I feel that is missing in Voyager. Don't get me wrong... I love Voyager .. I've been one of its advocates since the get-go! I don't want you all to think that voyager has be without creativity .. on the contrary .. there have been some very good episodes .. I just feel that this is where the creativity is being stumped.. and hopefully - Braga will not have this hurdle to jump and he can explore the human/alien condition farther!

------------------

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited September 18, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, I have to respectfully disagree, I guess, as I see Voyager being the series with the most creative potential of any Trek. Now, as to what they've done with that potential, well, that's a different story.

------------------
--
E. E. Cummings

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I've been wondering what would happen if Voyager travelled through a Federation analogue... Call it the 'Federated Delta-Beta Quadrant Worlds'... after all, why COULDN'T there be another Federation out there? Now, I don't mean a "counter-Earth" Federation, with Starfleet and all, but just a coalition of species united for the same reasons the Federation did.

I think there's some story possibilities there, especially if they ran across a group just in the early stages of founding, with barbarians at the gate, and so forth. There'd be idealists who want to learn from OUR Federation's people, others who might be nominally IN the FDBQW, but who want to use Voyager's tech against the barbarians, etc. since a Federation could be large, the issues could linger as they travelled.

------------------

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Sol: I guess that's what I mean - Yes.. The potential for great creativity is there .. but because of the need to get home .. it leave the story wanting at the end.

IMagine if Voyager found a wormhole - a stable one - and it brought them to the Gamma Quadrant.

NOW that ONE thing would make Voyager a whole new show. Then there would be TIME to explore the great unknown!

------------------

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've often wondered why ST has never shown us an alien Federation-analogue, as First suggested.

Probably couldn't be arsed thinking of enough interesting aliens for a single episode, even though the exploration/traversing of a vast semi-friendly territory of differing species but equal technologies could last for more than just the one ep.

I do believe I'm rambling.

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Ashrim, what would that change?

------------------
--
E. E. Cummings

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps