Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Enterprises.

Author Topic: The Enterprises.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about the funny fact that after the Enterprise-B, the only SF-ships taller than it are the other Enterprises, in a straight line. Amb, Gal, Sov.
All the other classes are shorter, even the new ones.

Then I started thinking, how come the founders of TNG were so clever as to name the ship Enterprise-D? Why not just B?
Did they really plan ahead to such length as to weave in the -B and -C later on?

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They wanted a total disconnect. New EVERYTHING. It was originally the NCC-1701-7, of the twenty-fifth century. But then the -A came along in IV and they changed it to a letter. Why they backed it up to the 24th and -D, I don't know.

And you say "taller". I assume you mean in the number of decks. The Nebula class was almost certainly taller than the Excelsior class. A Galaxy primary hull, with spaces above and below...

Of course, you could have meant "longer", so there you might have a point. 'Course, the Prommie might be longer than an Excelsior. Not sure there.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, my mistake. Meant longer.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They didn't really "weave" in the B and C at the beginning. As Omega said, it was more a case of them wanting to leave a large number of years between TNG and TOS, otherwise, if it was just 10 or so years, everyone would be screaming "Where's Kirk?" and so on. By setting it a century, they had more freedom with characters, new tecnologies, new races, what old races were doing, and so on.

Regarding the B and C, when they were deseigning the ships for the observation lounge wall, it's my understanding that the "B" was just based on an Excelsior, and the "C" was just a mix of the Excelsior and Galaxy classes. All 6 of them are very "open" sculptures, so they still had a fair bit of freedom designing the C for Yesterday's Enterprise.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Nim
Member # 205

Well I think they handled it well. But the Ent-C firefight would've been nice to've seen, even though tragic...

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that C was Probert's original design for the D.

Also it was going to be the Enterprise-G but they brought it back down...

Andrew

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enterprise-G? Hmmm, didn't know this nice little fact.

------------------
"And as we all know, a mesolytic quantumvector resonator is commonly
used to polarize isogravitic plasma-flux manifolds."

Starfleet Academy's Redshirt Guide to the Starfleet, 62nd edition, 2376.

[This message has been edited by Alpha Centauri (edited September 19, 2000).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps