Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Books...Half-Canon?

Author Topic: Books...Half-Canon?
Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, i know not all books are considered canon (except the ones from Jeri Taylor), but can we consider some facts canon?
Example: The promotion of Jellico to Admiral (New Frontier books),
the promotion of Nechayev to Fleet Admiral (five pips) and Captain of the USS Sovereign (Shatner books and the new Genesis Wave book).

What do you think? Are there other common issues among the books that can be considered canon?

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
http://www.seventhworld.de
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

Visit Rogue Fleet! The new StarTrek Internet RPG.
RogueFleet
Applications are still running!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here's concept nobody ever seems to grasp... Canon is not defined by whoever decides they want to. Canon is the stuff the writers are supposed to consider "real" for the purposes of the Trek universe. Therefore, unless TPTB take the unlikely action of declaring some book canon (which only might happen w/ the Taylor books, but almost certainly no others), nothing in any book, save things that have been in the show/movies, is canon, in any way, shape, or form.

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anything from a book ever been directly lifted into a movie (series)?
I would say that chances of the Jeri Taylor stuffing becoming cannon dropped to about nil when she gave up her exec producer spot on Voyager.
Most of the writers feel overly constrained by having to worry about past episodes, let alone having to worry about thirty years worth of books (many of which are crap) which cannot even retain continuity with eachother or the series.
Can writers freely lift stuff from books, or do they have to get some sort of release from the authors?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure it has ever come up, but I would guess that Trek novels are done under a work-for-hire scheme, making them products of Paramount to do with as they please.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO! Paramount does not equal Star Trek

Canon can be very personal. Star Trek is what you make of it. If you want to consider things canon, go right ahead, we're not (all) canon-nazi's here

------------------
"Human race in tha house!" KoRn & Kittie, This Town
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My definition: Events that take place within the episodes and movies are canon. So TOS, TAS (it doesn't matter to me, what Roddenberry said), TNG, DS9, VOY and all movies are canon.
All books are non-canon, TMs are non-canon (although they contain lot of canon stuff), comics are non-canon, RPGs are non-canon, games are non-canon.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's TM?

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technical Manual.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that's not "canon". That's "what you consider 'real' Trek". People are using the term "canon" much, much too loosely.

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Confucious says: "Man who attempts to define Trek reality must possess canon balls."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canon shmanon.

------------------

"I know ... these things will kill me," Grayson said, extinguishing his cigarette as Duncan MacLeod approached.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*LOL*

Actually, the episode where Janeway "dies" and meets her father was especially made to reinforce her backstory as told in "Mosaic" and "Pathways." However, other parts of those books were contradictory to later episodes, so again its semi-canon nature comes under debate.

In my opinion as a ST novel reader, there are several books out there which are astoundingly good in subject matter and detail. Unfortunately, with the amount of these books churning out of the publishing companies every month, and the fact that Star Trek episodes are still being made, they all tend to start contradicting themselves more and more when viewed as a whole. With the authors using Okuda's encyclopedia and chronology more, the books are at least becoming more consistent, but I doubt there will ever be a truly "canon" novel that won't contradict anything that came before or after it.
(Even the novelizations of the movies and occasional episodes aren't 100% true to their viewed versions; sometimes authors tend to add new things or change others to suit their personal writing.)

------------------
Bart: "Hey, Dad, I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for that crummy old danish."
Homer: "Done and done...D'oh!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You see, there's canon, and then there's personal canon. I love personal canon.

------------------
"Incest! A game the whole family can play!"
-Jonah Rapp

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Custom tailored Trek!!!

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps