Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Watch Generations and Back me Up

Author Topic: Watch Generations and Back me Up
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O.k. I was watching Star Trek:Generations last night and noticed something interesting:

Watch the scene where Geordi and Data beam over to the observatory to look for Trilithium. In certain areas if you look carefully, you can see several wall decorations over the actors' shoulders. Some appear to be door and department signage like the stuff they have on crew quarters. The only thing is, they look like the signage used in TOS! It's the brown placard with the embedded white type. There also appears to be a com unit from the corridors on the TOS Enterprise on one of the walls behind Data I believe. You can barely make it out, but I swear I can see the little white push button and the red crystal light up thingy.

It's odd, though, because all the other equipment and displays seem to be Enterprise-B level of tech. You'll notice the Blue-Green-White color combo on the displays in the hidden torpedo room they find. This would make sense if the Amargosa Observatory were a few decades old.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand, *some* of the displays are very obviously lifted directly from the TOS era. There's for example that funny red-and-yellow curve being displayed in the secret probe room wall, straight from Scotty's console on the original Enterprise.

It would make sense for the observatory staff to upgrade the onboard equipment whenever possible. Thus, E-B/E-C style displays in some places. But if the station was originally built back in the TOS days, the majority of support equipment would be TOS style. Of course you'd try to buy the newest model of Subspace Solar Scanner each year to make sure that your scans were of the highest quality, but you wouldn't need to change the century-old comm panels as long as they still worked. (And once you acquired a replicator, then *that* would be the only thing you would need spares for - TOS-era support systems could get their spares replicated easily enough!)

Also, it would make sense for the stuff in the secret probe room to be, well, *secretly* more advanced than the rest... Something Soran had covertly acquired for his personal use only.

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just me being picky now, but didn't the Ent-C tech look more like the refit Enterprise level of tech? All glowing buttons and circular displays?

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But no big chrome throttle lever in the helm console!

Well, I admit the circular displays did remind of the TMP ship (now with circular GRAPHICS in them!). But there were certain differences. The main one would be that there were no push-buttons in E-B, E-C and other ships of that general era. Also, the green-and-blue displays were Okudagrams mostly playing on flat surfaces, while the simple mostly black-and-white displays in TMP were computer graphics mostly playing on actual monitors.

I guess there was no big stylistic change between the E-B and E-C launches, with Cahkotay's Maquis ship and the apparently refitted Hathaway also representing the graphics of this era. The Stargazer in turn would be an unrefitted Constellation in the E-nil style, while the E-A could have been the trailblazer for blue-green Okudagram bridges. E-D style LCARS displays would come in vogue in the 2350s or later.

Timo Saloniemi

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, there are definately some things in the backgorund trying to tell us that it's TOS-era.
They actually seem to have made quite an effort in showing them in the background, as if it were one of the countless in-jokes towards die-hard fans.

------------------
"Dynamics is like playing hockey with a flexible hockey stick"
-My Physics teacher
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cassidy's Xhosa also is from the era of TOS... have a look at the 'panels' they are like those 'panels' that they have above the bridge stations on the Enterprise-Nil...

what WERE they supposed to be?? The only thing close that I can think of that is around now are the 'pictures' in Astrometrics on Voyager... maybe they are some sort of screen-saver?

Andrew

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were displays, like any other.

Lacking the funds to have these displays actually display, the show used static images instead. But presumably, inbetween shots, the screens were filled with all sorts of important information.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps