Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Klingons and Cardassians (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Klingons and Cardassians
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vogon: Was that some sort of Trek-haiku?

------------------
And keep your foot off that blasted samoflanche!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is (and this has always bugged me) cloaking doens't seem like a very "honourable" tactic. It fits in with the Romulan mind-set perfectly (sitting back, watching others, staying in the shadows and shouting "boo occasionally), after all, it was invented for them.

Klingons though. They really should fly unlcoaked everywhere. Why are they hiding. Warriors do not hide, they confront! And more random "honour blabberings" (they really should get Dinobot and Worf together).

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, I think I've heard reference to some sort of tachyon sensor net on the Romulan border ... not sure, though.

It might make sense with the Klingons, as long as they decloaked before attacking (i.e. -- they wouldn't begin an attack run under cloak, decloak in order to fire, then recloak), but would instead uncloak, begin the attack run, and then re-cloak if they were going to retreat (oh, right, Klingons ... I mean, "strategic withdrawl")

I've also found the Klingons to be modeled loosely on Feudal Japan -- and didn't Ninjas like to be unseen and unheard before they struck?

------------------
Can anyone say premature ejac ... er, election?

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and traditional ninjas lacked any moral whatsoever. Samurais OTOH... I've always compared klingons to samurais and their bushido.

I think the klingon policy is comparable to a bully child. "I make the rules and change them so that I win". That's also why they are the worst diplomats in the universe, too.
I think that klingon sig applies, "dishonor is very subjective". In "WotW" Worf said, although with a bit of lack of faith in his voice, "Honor lies in winning the battle" or something.
So their ends justify the means.

And just like klingons, samurais often sidestepped the rule of honor by hiring ninjas to do their dirtywork, (yeah, like that left them in the clear...)

When I think of it, many asian societies is like that. It's dishonorable to ask someone a question they don't know the answer too, so everyone lies all the time instead.
- Can you drive to Bangkok Royal Hotel?
- Why absolutely!!! Lalalalalaa... (happened to friend of mine)

------------------
And keep your foot off that blasted samoflanche!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, aside from Worf, most of the Klingons we've seen have taken a rather pragmatic approach to matters of honor. It's more believable and interesting to have the Klingon honor code be a living, mutable system rather than a set of unbreakable commandments, anyway.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would seem that the rules can be taken to whatever the Klingon reading them feels is thier context.

------------------
I am going to buy Japanese cars from now on, because the auto workers got the day off to vote and the state went to Gore, so I want to see how many we can get unemployed.
From The Port Huron Times-Herald talk back section.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klingons preach what they do not practice.

Its quite sad.

------------------
"When they come, kill them. We're not here to make friends." -- Connor

"But you're my friend." -- Duncan

"Count yourself lucky." -- Connor

Highlander: The Element of Fire

Nim
Member # 205

*paulreisermode* Sad? It's pathetic!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps