Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Can't we all just get along? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Can't we all just get along?
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a source of confusion to me that the Borg are so aggressive in assimilating other species. They claim that they want to improve themselves by assimilating other cultures, but why the necessity to assimilate an entire species?(Remember that ep. of Voyager where some guy's species was practically wiped out as a consequence of Janeway allying Voyager with the Borg temporarily). Surely some ships databases and the genome would be enough.

Also, I've never seen an assimilated Hirogen or Ka'Zon.

------------------
"Investigator of skullduggery,though quite lenient on buggery"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Borg assimilate others both to improve themselves and, from their point of view, to improve the assimilated group. It would be downright unfair to uplift some members of a species and not others, don't you think?

Besides that, they probably do it simply because they can.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they only assimilate that which brings them closer to perfection. Be it for territory, raw material , manpower or gene-pools...

Which takes us to your next question. We have in earlier discussions theorized that the Kazon and their stolen ships probably aren't an attractive deal to the Borg.
The Hirogen have a nack for staying on the loose, so no specific territories or big groups of people to assimilate.

Plus, they did down a 8472-ship you know. Granted it was wounded/weak/hungry but anyway...

Do the bio-ships perhaps feed? Imagine a 8472-ship with nose-section sniffing Pluto-style and munching trees and bushes...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, my astroid belt is missing.....

------------------
**...****...**

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What goes in, must come out....

------------------
"Dynamics is like playing hockey with a flexible hockey stick"
-My Physics teacher
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure I want it now.....

Hey all, I have the astroid belt for sale....

------------------
**...****...**

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll give you $1 -- go smash it into Tennessee, ok?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't mind, I'll go back to the original topic, OK?

I don't think that the Borg won't assimilate Hirogen because they captured an 8472. Neither do I think that their spread and (possible) low population are an argument to not assimilate them. They would make excellent drones, from a physiological point of view. Keep in mind that the Hirogen can kick ass, and not to forget, their hunting experience probably make them hard to capture.

------------------
Sponsored by Heineken(R)

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Like the bugs to Rio????

***Aligns crappy astroid belt*****

Fire one!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
**...****...**

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that the Hirogen's spread and low population is suppossed to be an argument against the Borg wanting to assimilate them. It's an arguement against their ability to assimilate them.

As it has been shown, it's not that hard to hide from the Borg. The Enterprise did it (with varying degrees of success) in BoBW and I, Borg. The Hirogen haven't got to protect anyone but themselves, so they can move from hiding place to hiding place. Other people have planets, which are a wee bit harder to hide.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read somewhere (the Encyclopedia? ST:Mag?) That the Borg don't want the Kazon because they feel the Kazon have nothing to offer the Collective. Harsh.

Have you noticed the .... negative reaction of the unassimilated members of a species. I'd guess that the Borg assimilate an entire species because it's easier than assimilating some and then killing the others who want revenge.

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

If everyone got along why would we need Star Trek? All everyone would be doing is boldly going where no man and no one has gone before. Seems kinda dull.

------------------
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: A New Hope)

[This message has been edited by Soontir_Fel (edited November 25, 2000).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I suspect the frame of reference for "dull" would be subject to change then.
Maybe just a slight genocide or supernova every tenth year on every 10000th planet could be enough for the pacifying forces to handle at that time.

On second thought, that'd be rather horrible...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

Okay, you're right Nimrod. It wouldn't be dull. It would be, well, different. With everyone getting along, there'd be no wars. Not that I like them, it's just the battle scenes are so cool. No wars = no Borg threat = no Defiant, Soveriegn, and Prometheus classes. Section 31 might not exist then. No intrigue and espionage then. Just a lot of diplomacy.

It wouldn't be true to life!

------------------
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: A New Hope)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaahh...welcome the new breed of Star Trek fan.

"Battle scenes are pretty!"

"i lrove teh sovrign clss. It's got type XXCI phaser pulser cnnons and 90035 quntum torpero lanchers. It culd beet ne ship outta space, xcept 4 mabye teh Premethus clss. That ship can spertate in2 284 diffrent parts, and has quantm slipsyram drive, tricblt torproes and a phase clcking device. I know, I readed it on the websites. Teh next movie shold be abit trhe Dominon war. There cold be like 10000010101001011001111010 0ships like flyinf around ,and it getted shot by the Jemddar, and there'd be expolisions!!!!!!"

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps