Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Cage

Author Topic: The Cage
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few questions about the uniforms in "The Cage".

Did Garrison wear a golden sleeve stripe, or did only officers wear one?
What division insignia did Yeoman Colt have?
Is it true, that the Engineering division uniforms were dark mustard gold and the Command division uniforms were light mustard gold?

In "Where No Man Has Gone Before" the rank system changed:
Captain - 2 stripes
Officers - 1 stripes
But was there anyone without a stripe?

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have to watch both of these to be sure, but a couple of things I can tell just now.

-My tapes do not show the difference between stripe colors. Publicity photos would seem to show "Garrison" with a stripe identical to that of Tyler's when they are planetside.
-Yet there is a difference between the mustard colors. The burly transporter chief (possible chief engineer?) did seem to have darker colors.
-"WNMHGB" had a wide variety of uniforms, and the coveralls at least lacked stripes. I have to check carefully if any of the regular uniforms were stripeless, though.

-No idea of Colt's (or Smith's) department. Will check.

Timo Saloniemi

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My tapes do not show the difference between stripe colors.

I just wanted to know, if he wore a stripe.

quote:
"Garrison" with a stripe

So we can assume, that everyone wore a stripe and that there was no distinction between commissioned officers and non-commissioned officers.

Was Garrison the Comm-officer?
What division insignia did he have?
And was Tyler the Navigation-officer or the Helmsman?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited December 05, 2000).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if that's were they got the name for Mr. Garrison from South Park... the creators are big Trek fans.

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here's verified info on "The Cage":

There's a definite division of mustard shirts into two categories: goldish (only Pike, #1, Tyler) and brownish (Colt, the transporter tech/engineer, supernumeraries). I guess the division is the same as between gold and red in regular TOS episodes.

I cannot discern the insignum on Colt, but I doubt it is the command star - it looks more rounded.

Garrison wears a stripe in his brownish uniform sleeve when speaking with Pike on the bridge. For some reason, the actor's reported as playing two characters: CPO Garrison and a crewman. I see no reason to think this really is the case, though. I never saw him without a stripe, unless he had none under his field jacket (which did have a sleeve stripe).

As for "Where No Man..":

Again definitely two shades of mustard. Yeoman Smith is the only one without a stripe in a regular uniform, as far as I can tell, but there might be more on the background.

Timo Saloniemi

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
I guess the division is the same as between gold and red in regular TOS episodes.

I agree with you, but are you sure, that Tyler's uniform was gold? According to the FF Tyler wore a brownish uniform and IIRC he had the "whip"-insignia. If he wore a brownish uniform, than we can assume the following:
gold uniform - command star
brownish uniform - "whip"

quote:
I cannot discern the insignum on Colt, but I doubt it is the command star - it looks more rounded.

Maybe it's the whip. This would fit to the uniform color.

Oh yes, and there were some people without a stripe in this time period, eg Colt and one crewman in a blue uniform in the background.

quote:
As for "Where No Man.."

Can anyone backup that Mitchell had the science-insignia on his Enterprise-Delta?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited December 07, 2000).]

Timo
Member # 245

Yes, Mitchell and Scotty both had the atomic-model science-thingy with their brown uniforms. Either navigation and warp engineering were still considered high sciences back then, or then the symbol just had a different meaning in that era. Or then the laundry crew (Enterprise, not Paramount) just screwed up that day.

Tyler's shirt color looks quite golden to me when he, #1 and Pike occupy the center of the bridge and the brownshirt extras are on the rim. But that may be a trick of the lighting. Ditto when Tyler and the rest sit down at the conference table. However, the difference between Tyler and Garrison is IMHO also visible down on the surface where I doubt such lighting differences existed.

I didn't spot any other goldshirts in addition to Pike, #1 and Tyler. Then again, Kirk's ship had just him and Spock in "Where No Man" and a relatively small selection in TOS (much fewer goldshirts there than redshirts on the E-D or DS9).

Timo Saloniemi

Timo
Member # 245

As for the duties of Garrison and Tyler, it's pretty much impossible to tell. Garrison was never shown really manning a bridge post, and could have been the Security chief for all we know. He was one of the trigger-happier members of the landing party, after all.

And Tyler sat in the starboard chair of the helm console: in the regular episodes, this was Navigator, while in "No Man", it appeared that the ship's movements were directly controlled from this side of the pulpit by the brownshirt Mitchell. Probably the stations were readily reconfigurable. Sometimes the helmsman has tended to outrank the navigator in the situations where we could tell the difference (Sulu's Excelsior crew, Sulu vs. Chekov, Sulu vs. Ilia or DiFalco, Sulu vs. Saavik, the Stargazer flashbacks) but opposite examples also exist (Chekov vs. Valeris and her stand-in), so the fact that Mitchell outranked Alden means next to nothing. And there has been very little consistency about the shirt colors going with these jobs.

Timo Saloniemi

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps