Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Post War Politics (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Post War Politics
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, give the guy a break. He's discovered paragraphs. Punctuation still needs work, though. That, and pulling his head out his ass.

------------------
"I do prefer the arse, but you can't dismiss the leg. They're joined at the hip, so to speak."

- Liam Kavanagh

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that insult reserved for Omega?

Sheesh people, you've gotta come up with some new ways to rib each other. The variations on arse and head are getting tiresome.

Anyway, I've always thought that Sol had fairly good punctuation.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People seem to have missed the point that the war didn't actually touch the Dominion at all. The ships they sent to the AQ were undoubtledly new ones which were built for that purpose. Their current doctrine and system will continue in the gamma quadrant, as will their military strenght. Which I have no doubt is far greater than the combined AQ powers.

As for Odo, he may have returned to the link, to heal his people, but making galactic policy? I think not. He's barely a teenager by their standards.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I largely agree, Daryus. However, I don't think the Dominion could just shrug off their losses. They might not be crippling, but it seems some damage was done.

------------------
I have been floated to this spot this hour
On a series of events
I cannot explain
--
Olivia Tremor Control
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Read, read, read, read, read me now.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picture the Dominion as the U.S. after the fiasco in Vietnam. They'll be looking for someone to guide them, and Odo, who has bucked tradition for so long, might be the one to do it.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice anaglogy Jeff,

The Doiminion is basically just a bit weaker than they were at the beginning of the war. Their entire Gamma Quadrant fleet was left unscratched, well...except for those 2800 ships "lost" in the wormhole.

The Doiminion is just as strong but they have been humilated by a weaker force. It will take them at least a decade to get over this horrendous defeat.

AS for Odo, he probably has a say in the Link but he's power is at the most a bit more than the rest of the changelings.

[This message has been edited by warbird5 (edited December 14, 2000).]

IP: Logged
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, you don't know, and so can't say for certain.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's go ask whomever is over in charge at Paramount. I'm sure they'll know. Probably when someone pays them a large amount of money.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, however I was under the impression that those 2800 ships were in fact most likely newly built, and sent over specifically for the purpose of an AQ war. However either way, losing 2800 ships a far less of a deal for the Dominion than it is for the Federation.

Mostly due to the fact that jem'hadar are easily replaced, whislt humans aren't.

------------------

- DT.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Federation lost, what, 11000 souls during Wolf359 and that was like 48 ships, how many Vortas and changelings do you think were on those 2800 ships??

These guys were certain they would win, and they were right, had it not been for da prophets. I DO think it cost them much, it's unheard of to lose an armada in .3 seconds.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they were 'disposed of' in a similar manner to the wannabe prophet from "Accession". Even though the timeline had been restored - they still remembered what happened... maybe even though the Dominion fleet might have been wiped from time... everyone still remembers them?

Andrew

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

My point is that it is not such as crippling loss to the Dominion as it would be to the Federation.

------------------

- DT.

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys basically have it all figured out

However, Dominon lost the war on the Alpha quad, that doesn't mean their military forces were completely destoryed. Consider that the Dominion is a military state to begin with, whose stability depends on military oppression, they probabaly have a lot more military stock-up to begin with then the UFP before the war even started.

In DS9, it was mentioned several time that Dominon's ship building capability surpass that of the UFP. Even with Dominon's alpha forces all wiped out, their ship building capability still remain intact in the Gamma quad, not to mention that Jammies are breed in tubes not enlisted, so no shortages of ships and personall.

Odo will prove to be a great influence to the link, but I dought one person can do that much change to a whole population of conservative minds.

What's my conclusion? The Dominon was wounded during the war, but manage to pull away with it's claw and teeths still intact, so the Fed will probably just stay away from Gamma quad, and lick their own wound instead. For those world that wanted to seperate from Dominion, I wish them luck, cuz it's probably not possible to do so

------------------
If a diamond is a woman's best friend, why does a man has to settle for a dog?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about some kind of treaty with the Dominion, like the Founders did with the simulation in 'The Search' (IIRC)?

Would it have some profits for the Dominion?

And what about the Borg vs. the Dominion? Surely, when the Borg care to come all the way to the AQ, they would have had some contact with the Dominion? Maybe in a few decades the Dominon and the Federation will sign some silly anti-Borg treaty?

------------------
"There's no such thing as overkill when it comes to killing."
-Gaseous Anomaly, December 11, 2000
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking about disappearing ships... maybe the Klingon fleet that 'disappeared' in Breen space during the "Second Empire" was done by the Prophets? Maybe later brought forward in time... to help the Klingons in a time of struggle?

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps