Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Names of TOS Romulan Commanders? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Names of TOS Romulan Commanders?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that the Romulan commanders appearing in "Balance of Terror" and "The Enterprise Incident" weren't given names on air. But were they given names in any novels? Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Decipher's 'Mirror, Mirror' set names the Romulan commander from 'The Enterprise Incident' Commander Charvanek. While the other commander from 'Balance of Terror' is named Keras in 'The Trouble with Tribbles' set.

------------------
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: A New Hope)

[This message has been edited by Soontir_Fel (edited December 11, 2000).]

IP: Logged
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The female Romulan commander was also named Charvanek in the Vulcan's Heart novel.

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, guys!

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are at least 3 novels with 3 different names for the female Romulan commander.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus unimaginative early novels which call her "the Romulan Commander". Ugh. It's almost as painful as reading D.C.Fontana's Pike-era "Vulcan's Glory" where everybody calls the mysterious Number One... "Number One"!

So, how many names for #1 in the novels and RPGs? Oltion goes with Peter David's "Lieutenant Lefter" joke in his Pike-era story "Where the Sea meets the Sky", but I guess other novels have already established a name or two for her.

Timo Saloniemi

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember one of the novels mentioning that Number One was an alien!

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this was in "Vulcan's Glory". She's from Ilyria and genetically perfect. Hence the name Number One.

quote:
"Lieutenant Lefter" joke in his Pike-era story "Where the Sea meets the Sky"

What joke? This book isn't available in Austria, and I'm afraid that it will take 2 years before it is published.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited December 12, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TWO YEARS? TWO YEARS?

And again,

TWO YEARS?

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Yes, it takes a long time to translate them. The latest books published here, were NF #1, 2, 3 and 4

------------------

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah thats right!
But the newest book(or up to date book by US standarts) published by Heyne are not the NF ones, its "I,Q" also by Peter David.

Thats why i order the english StarTrek over Amazon.de...

Too bad that it is taking so long, and the only publisher in germany, austria and swiss is Heyne.

And i can tell you, that is not everything we'll have to wait a long time here in germany... or for Fitz austria.

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
http://www.seventhworld.de
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

Visit Rogue Fleet! The new StarTrek Internet RPG.
RogueFleet
Applications are still running!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*rereads* Oh, AUSTRIA. I thought you said Australia. Jeez, I know they speak funny, but translating them?

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya think I can get Trek books in "Hillbilly" for this general area?

Quatre.

------------------
"Omae o korusu..." - Heero Yuy

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the "Paramount Comics" line by Marvel, there was a series of The Cage-era stories... and if I recall correctly, in the first issue (titled "Flesh of My Flesh") there was a conversation which went something like this:

PIKE: So what should I call you? Lieutenant Robbins. Eure--

NUMBER ONE: An old family curse. "Number One" will be fine.

Yet another theory - I saw it on the web but apparently it's from a noncanon, unauthorized source - claims that Number One is somehow related to Christine Chapel.

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
Number One is somehow related to Christine Chapel.

Yes, both were played by Majel Roddenberry.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps