Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What's the size record for... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What's the size record for...
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Dragon's Teeth" more or less says the Borg became a threat to the Waadvaur no earlier than 900 years ago. It doesn't necessarily say the Borg did not exist before that, and did not rule the galaxy (although apparently the writers did want to imply that).

Earlier episodes give other figures. In "Q Who?", Guinan says the Borg have been around for hundreds of millennia, and Q seems to confirm this, so something between 200,000 and 900,000 years of age would seem the most likely.

The Dominion has been referred to as 2,000 years old in "To the Death", but a) that's probably just the lower age limit and b) it's probably disinformation fed by the Founders themselves anyway. Then again, the Dominion is not a single lifeform - and even if we count the Changelings as a single pool of goo, it probably hasn't grown in size much since its conception. A hundred "babies" per a thousand years or so was the implication in "The Search" where Odo's return in less than two centuries was considered vastly premature, and no mention was made of another, later batch of babies.

The really really ancient humanoids from "The Chase" might count if they ultimately merged into a single being, but we saw no hint of such a fate.

Of the cloud things, wasn't the amoeba just 11,000 km across? Still bigger than the other space dwellers, save for V'Ger (80 AU cloud included) and the coffee nebula - what were its dimensions? Oh, and TAS "One of Our Planets is Missing" had a big antimatter cloud thing that seemed capable of enveloping planets, so 11,000 km would be the lower size limit.

Timo Saloniemi

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised that the starship-eating thing from "Bliss" hasn't been mentioned...

------------------
"The only good thing about this film is the edible chocolate roaches they gave out. Mmm, mmm... Wait a minute, edible roaches don't crawl. Edible roaches don't crawl!"

- Jay Sherman, The Critic.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to make a new thread about the age of the Borg...

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Size? The Doomsday Machine, of course! It's supposed to eat an entire planet! How could you match that!?!?!

------------------
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's not a lifeform...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what you say!!! It's alive, I tell you!

Actually, I overlooked that part. My bad... :p

Then my vote goes for the space amoeba.

------------------
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the planet-eater fairly small for its task, anyway? I thought it broke the planet apart and ate it in small pieces. I'm afraid I haven't actually seen the episode, so I don't know what was shown...

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

DARKSTAR
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
List Of Big Thing in Star Trek

Dedirex Class Romulan Warbird :-1041 m
Kazon Mothership:-3000m
Dominion Super battlecruiser:-1200m
Voth City Ship:-5000m
Borg Cube:-3000m (on one edge)
Cell Thing In TOS:-1 light year
Planet Killer:-3000m
Soveriegn:-685m
Galaxy:-642m
Intrepid:-344m
Prometheus:-350m
Defiant:-170m
Galor Class:-475m

IP: Logged
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Founders. When they are in the link, it is in essence, one life form. And the do seem to cover the entire planet like an ocean.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they sustain their individuality when bathing so it's just a big gathering.
The borg are as one but it's a cybernetic link so basically just a virtual network.

Darkstar: The D'Deridex is in the 1300m-range and the Kazon ship is about half that figure. Where did you get them values?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, DARKSTAR never responds to questions, Nimrod. He shows up, pulls some numbers out of his a**, then vanishes.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Borg count. Of course the Borg count. Unless you're being prejudicial towards alien lifeforms.

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Planet killer?

Anyway, the Dyson sphere is the biggest construction. I'm going for the 'Bliss' creature on living things.

------------------
- Crighton, Farscape.

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Anyone have an idea on the size of Borg-city?

------------------
- Crighton, Farscape.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep telling you, it's the Borg!

1.) The Borg is a lifeform.
2.) The Borg is made up of billions, if not trillions, of things the size of a person.
3.) There is no distinction between its organic and inorganic components.

Now, if we want to cheat and change the original post to largest organic lifeforms, that's different.

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps