Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Fraternization

Author Topic: Fraternization
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK...I'm thinking about this because it's turning out to be an integral part of Brynja's story.

In the real armed services, fraternization between officers and enlisted is a strict no-no. Given that DS9 & VGR have basically obliterated GR's edict of "no enlisted," I'm wondering if Starfleet would exercise that same train of thought re: fraternization.

I'm having a hard time reconciling this one. On one hand, they're an "enlightened" structure, so it could be possible...but on the other, they may decide to keep it to make sure nothing hinky goes on.

The only thing I can think of that would show no sort of anti-fraternization rule would be all those times that Sisko or Data or whoever had O'Brien over for dinner, etc.

------------------
"Reading snow is like listening to music. To describe what you've read is like explaining music in writing." ---Smilla Jaspersen

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about all those times Bashir and O'Brien were:
on the holodeck?
playing raquetball?
foiling S31's plans?

------------------
Two atoms walk into a bar. One atom says to the other atom:
"I've lost an electron!"
"Are you sure?"
"I'm positive!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen it slide sometimes, when the officer has no ability to influence the career of the enlisted person. My friends brother was an Army PFC and was seeing a Navy Lt., and no one raised a stink about it.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably because they were too busy securing the Movie-of-the-Week rights on the quiet. . . 8)

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roddenberry had "an edict of no enlisted"? This is the first time I have ever heard about that. A quasi military organization of all leaders and no followers eh?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roddenberry wanted to seperate his Starfleet in certain ways from existing military organizations. But there were plenty of people on TOS whose enlisted status was implied, if not explicit.

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like all the people whose rank was "crewman"? :-)

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just watching "Menagerie" and one of the dudes in the pajama looking technician uniforms was addressed as chief.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, he could have been a Lieutenant (or a Rear Admiral) with the position of Chief of Transporter Operations. Lt. Kyle was called "chief" as well...

One of the more telling things is that "The Cage", written by Roddenberry himself, featured a character credited as "CPO Garrison" in the end credits. If Gene wanted an all-officer Fleet at one time, he did not do so all the time. (Or were Garrison's first names Clark Peter Oliver? )

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DERAIL...!!

Look at the forest gents, not the individual buggery trees. This isn't meant to be a discussion of Roddenberry's thoughts on the existence of enlisted officer. I need to know thoughts on stratification fraternization. Seriously. Like...chop chop. Brynja's getting pushy, & Icelandic women aren't pretty when they're pushy.

------------------
"Reading snow is like listening to music. To describe what you've read is like explaining music in writing." ---Smilla Jaspersen

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps