Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Galaxy Map (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Galaxy Map
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On that note, has anyone ever done a galaxy map, somewhat like Timo's...only for Babylon 5?

Or on second thought, maybe there's not enough information in the series... meh...

------------------
"The Guide says that there is an art to flying...or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Life, the Universe and Everything

[This message has been edited by Mucus (edited February 01, 2001).]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There actually IS something like that, my phlegmatic fried...I'll have to rescour the zillions of links in my faves to find it again, though.

------------------
"You just push off....and the falling sort of happens on its own." ---Dave Titus

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see Al's territory labelled on there at all...

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited February 01, 2001).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bab-five map would be nice. I assume vorlon territory and shadow territory take up a lot of space...
How fast is their jumpgates and hyperspace? Not like Star Wars, huh? But there was never much mention about "uncharted territory" in bab.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was one on Voltair's (sp) Encyclopedia Xenobiologica but it's long gone now...

------------------
"Okashii na... namida ga nagareteru. Hitotsu mo kanashikunai no ni."
(That's funny... my tears are falling. And I'm not sad at all.) - Quatre Raberba Winner

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Timo edited map - nice but, there is no way I'd have Tholian and Breen space so big - especially compared to Cardassian and Romulan space. Klingon space wouldn't be as big as Fed space - it'd be too hard for the Klingons to subjugate so many races/planets.

Or even populate them themselves.

Andrew

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I wanted to make the Cardassians puny, and the Romulans are confined inside that Neutral Zone anyway - a Zone created two centuries before TNG, at a time when ships were slow and an empire of the size shown was huge. They represent "concentrated nastiness" as opposed to the other, more widely spread opponents of the UFP.

Then again, this is just the core region of the supposedly 8,000 ly dia. Federation, which has other holdings in the directions of Rigel and Deneb, off the map. In contrast, the Klingons probably don't extend much outside the map area. This puts them and the Breen and Tholian holdings in perspective (although I made sure that the Breen and the Tholians could theoretically extend past the map area).

Timo Saloniemi

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps I'm unaware of the reason, but has anybody adressed the reason why borg and krenim space both surround this seemingly uninhabited (or unlabeled) region of space? Perhaps I missed somethinng in the episodes because I stoppd watching Voyager for two years or so.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Voyager jumped about 10,000 light years when Kes left. That may be the gap there.

Personally I find the idea that the Borg have "space" unrealistic. Sure they may have areas of high concentration. This would undoubtedly be where they had their beginnings as the Collective. But they go everywhere. They're spread thoughout the galaxy. I don't think they have any defined borders.

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to agree. But you have to imagine that the area indicated in that map probably is their consentrated space. With all "age of the borg" arguments aside, their method of integrating other civilizations into theirs is highly effective, and so I assume they would be able to expand and develop a large amount of space like what is indicated on the map.

[This message has been edited by The Antagonist (edited February 06, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo,

I understood the Romulan Neutral Zone only to block expansion of the RSE into Federation territory, not that it completely surrounds their empire. Can they not expand "out the back door", so to speak?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Antagonist
Member # 484

Taking a look at Timo's map, I noticed that the Romulan Empire takes up a very small portion of space, smaller than I would have thought.

But something bothers me when I look at this. The Dominion was able to enter a no-fire agreement with the RSE, yes? This would lead me to believe that the RSE was able to somehow meet with the dominion who at the time occupied cardassian space, so the question is raised in my mind: how did they meet with each other if the UFP is jammed between them? Surely they didn't go around, it's a huge inconvienience to both sides and probably would take several months, weeks at best. And it seems to me that striking such a deal over subspace communication would be difficult as well when once considers the distance again. Wihtout communication relay boost stations the arrived message could very well look like a Jem'Hadar sat on the keyboard and farted.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason I make RNZ so compact and almost completely enclosed is that I want to shove a couple of real-life and noncanon references in. Canon alone would not completely justify such a small RSE. But I want to have the RNZ roughly oval-shaped and I want the homeworlds at Triangulum (Australe) to keep with Diane Duane's books, and I want Gamma Hydra (a real star with a fixed location) in Federation space but near an ovoid Neutral Zone of some sort (ST2; not necessarily the RNZ, since there were Klingons in it... But then there was this alliance thing) - so voila! It's not something I expect many people to be satisfied with, though. Nyah, nyah to you.

And I don't think warfleets or emissaries travel around empires. They go *through* them. The borders of empires aren't sealed, at least if you operate a cloaked ship (or a fast ship). All of the empires on this compact map are so close to each other that they can share afternoon tea, regardless of whether there is a stretch of another empire between them or not.

This is a conscious choice to avoid making the map 3D. If I insisted on every given pair of empires sharing a physical border if there is a reference to a treaty or a war between them, then I'd have to go fully 3D and moreover give the empires weird tentacles to give sufficient "contact surfaces".

Timo Saloniemi

Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo, I just saw your map for the first time. Did "The Cage" not depict the Talos star group AS the Pleides? How did you resolve that?

Purrr...

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re the Babylon 5 map There was some information mentioned in the series...

Firstly, when Mr. Morden was doing the deal with Mollari, he showed a schematic of the Milky Way galaxy... basically the Shadows would have it all except for one arm which was for the Centauri.

Secondly, the Major race's territory all sort of bordered with the Neutral Space within which the Babylon Stations were built.

I would say that the Centauri and the Narn boarder each other.

Sector 14?? where the time rift was/is was 3 hours? in normal space by Starfury.

The Minbari and the Centauri and the Drazi etc. have other races/worlds under their protection.

The Centauri were the first 'aliens' to make formal First Contact with Earth...

I think I want to go back and watch B5 again... ALL OF IT! I think I'd have to wait for the DVD releases to buy them all I think!?! DOes anyone know when they are going to be released? Better get a DVD player first

Andrew

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps