Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The world needs to know!!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The world needs to know!!!
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I understand it now.

I was surpised when I saw Robert Picardo play a doctor in at least two other movies/series other than Star Trek.

Patrick Steward played Captain Ahab (ref: First Contact)

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, look: there are thousands of actors in Hollywood. And yet the same faces keep cropping up. It's annoying, expecially when there must be thousands of non-American actors living there, and yet shows like Frasier use Italian-Americans, who couldn't do a British accent to save their lives, to play British characters, and we keep seeing everyone in Starfleet - hell, the whole fucking universe in fact - having American accents.

Simple fact is, once you start to get work, you quite often keep working. "He did an episode of Picket Fences!" agents cry down the phone. I love looking up minor actors on the IMDB and seeing how much (or, usually, how little) they've actually done. For instance: everyone, it seems, has at one time or another done an episode of The Outer Limits. Go figure.

It makes you think. All these actors and actresses, sometimes with names or faces you recognise, yet they maybe get two TV guest spots in one year. . . what do they do the rest of the time? Consider Melanie Shatner, someone I saw in some movie last night, in which she amazingly got third billing. But look at her overall career. Not much, is it? And she's done better than most. Try it. Make a note of some guest actor from any show (especially if they're female - you might get lucky and find they've done a Red Shoe Diaries or something!) and ask yourself "why would anyone want to do this?"

------------------
"Businesses used to be like Christianity; if you were faithful and obedient, you could obtain bliss in the afterlife of retirement. Now it's more of a reincarnation model. If the worker learns enough in his current job, he can progress to a higher level of employment elsewhere."

- Dogbert

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't leave fingerprints.

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well not where I'd expect to find them, anyway. Had to go pre-t-t-y deep...

So to summarize, I'm highlighting trek-actors in other productions than Trek, taking with them names FROM Trek. A very unusual procedure, not what I'd expect to see. I don't think it even was Avery Brooks request to get a name after a crewmember in his neighbour-series.
*KennethStarrspeak* It does NOT make sense!!

And Doc Zimmerman's girlie-hologram! Why WOULD she want to be called Kira in her next project? "Well it would be fun..." NO! Not fun, weird! Girl, you didn't even work with the DS9-crew!!
There must be something more...

Come on, surely you must've thought about this when YOU saw "The Big Hit", guys? Besides, it was a pretty good action-flick.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, Kira happens to be a real name. Just sayin'.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is Cisco. But I think that wasn't a coincedence...
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why shouldn't it be? The vast majority of productions using Trek actors don't feature Trek names. . . you seriously believe that, upon seeing there was a Trek sctor cast in a role, they would deliberately change the script? Or even more bizarrely, that upon seeing a Trek name in a script, they would go all out to cast a Trek actor? Come on!

------------------
"Businesses used to be like Christianity; if you were faithful and obedient, you could obtain bliss in the afterlife of retirement. Now it's more of a reincarnation model. If the worker learns enough in his current job, he can progress to a higher level of employment elsewhere."

- Dogbert

Nim
Member # 205

Now you're getting in to it. And I hear you! Why WOULD they name her character Kira because she happened to have been in Trek for an instant? It makes no sense. Or does it?

So what about the rest of the examples, then? I'm just trying to present this to you guys as best I can...
Don't you think I thought it a coincedence when I first noticed?
But then I thought, why don't I run this past my amigos at the forums, for all I knew you could've had a list of stuff like what I encountered...

Vogon Poet: Your first post about typecasting/overusing the same actors over and over, was that aimed at this thread or just at the statement about Picardo being typecasted? I'm not being sarcastic, but where you going anywhere with it?
Could the patterns you describe in the movie business have anything to do with the overall discussion? Just try and break it down a bit.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited February 02, 2001).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I just add another haven for Trek actors (its probably because of the high standard of actors that actually make it through the auditions) "The Practice"!

I was watching one episode the other day - and there were no less than 3 "major" Trek actors in the episode... it was the episode where the defendant attacks Helen Gambol...

"Enabrin Tain" was that crazy old judge
"Henry Starling" was the necrophilac professional witness/doctor.
"Morn" was the crazy defendant/drug guy who jumped up and attacked Helen.

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Nim
Member # 205

Yes, also Armin Shimmerman (Quark) played a judge several times.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also saw him play a lawyer just a few day's ago. And I don't know if his re-occuring role as headmaster of Buffy's school is already mentioned...

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He used to be a recurring character, Pascal, on the old "Beauty and the Beast" TV show.

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Lee
Member # 393

Er, what? I didn't say anything about Picardo!

------------------

- Dogbert

Nim
Member # 205

Sorry, that was Altair.
Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was MORN!? Andrew, are you sure?

------------------
"Sack me!? I MADE the BBC!!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps