Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Why not blow the RELIANT up? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Why not blow the RELIANT up?
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirk would probalby also have been familiar with Esteban, since he seemed to know pretty much every high-ranking officer he came across in the other movies or TOS. A use of two torpedoes for bluff would definitely have made the Esteban we saw shake in his pants, if he was outside direct comm range of his superiors. And he seemed to be, since we saw no indication he was ever informed of the Enterprise hijacking (although this depends on the exact chronology of things - we can't say for sure if he was killed before or after the hijacking), nor that he practiced two-way communications.

One wonders who climbed down to manually remove the protective grilles from over the torpedo track, though.

In any case, Kirk and pals possibly had days (or even weeks) of time aboard the ship for hatching all sorts of contingency plans before reaching Genesis. There was no direct indication that the trip was a quick one - sure, the heroes never changed their clothes, but apparently they didn't *bring* other clothing with them. 23rd century clothing might not require frequent washing...

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a hard time believing that a bunch of 40+ year old bacherlors would travel somewhere without a change of clothes. I mean, why should they care?

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sulu had Dimora to worry about, though...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I was writing that part of my mind was saying "Don't forget to mention Sulu as a possible exception," but that part was apparently distracted while I hit the submit reply button.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And these guys were complaining about the smell aboard Kruge's BoP?

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they all DID have a change of outfits. But, by an amazing coincidence, the clothes they were wearing when they finally arraived at Genesis just happened to be the same ones they'd started out in.

And again, by an amazing coincidence, they just happened to be wearing the same clothes again, three months later, when they were about to take the BOP back to Earth.

Tsk, they only wore those clothes three times in a few months, and we just happened to be watching them at that point. Poor lads.

And Sulu probably didn't want to change out of his snazzy outfit. I imagine he walked around the deserted Enterprise pretending to be a mad cross between Batman and Zorro.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On March 6, TIMO said:
----------------------------------
Now, what Khan repaired was auxiliary power. That doesn't give warp speed, so one might say the nacelles of the Reliant weren't even energized when Kirk hit the port one.
----------------------------------

Thank you. Your assessment makes a lot of sense and resolves my conflict of many years over this issue.

And *Lots of Laughs* @PsyLiam.

------------------
Purrr...

IP: Logged
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that what you think LOL stands for?

If so, I LOL at you. Many times.

------------------
"I WANT A POST VOY SERIES STAR TREK ORIGINAL MESSAGE WAS LOOKING FORWARD NOT LOOKING BACK."

-Darkstar

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely "Lots of Laughs" is even better than just "laugh(ing) out Loud"?

So nyah to you, Mr Blue Car Carrier.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brief thought on the antimatter dilemma aboard the Enterprise. If the common assumption that 1 gram of antimatter is enough to launch a shuttle into space is true, then regardless of how empty the bottles were, wouldn't there still be a really gigantic explosion?

Say there were two grams left in the bottles, ( and I seriously think it was much more than that even if they did partially drain them), would that not still be enough to detonate a portion of the secondary hull when containment failed? If this is true, then the bottles MUST have been ejected or the antimatter dumped before the Enterprise self-destructed, as we saw no such explosion.

Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions? Hypotheses? Conclusions?

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in the Trek universe antimatter just isn't played out to be as powerful as it really is in real life. If it was, then don't you think that all the battles that we've had just one torpedo would be enough to destroy an entire ship. Just think of the battle in ST6 between Chang and Kirk. One of Chang's torpedos went straight through the saucer of the Enterprise. If it was real, the Enterprise would have been destroyed completely at that point.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps