Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » 1976 "Planet of Titans" script

Author Topic: 1976 "Planet of Titans" script
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just curious if anyone anywhere has managed to get their hands on the Bryan/Scott 1976 "Star Trek: Planet of Titans" script or anything related to it. I'm writing a rather extensive work on the Trek movies and am very interested in documenting the paths not taken. All I've even seen of Titans are brief descriptions of the plot and some conceptual art.

Anyone?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Planet of Titans"? Never heard of it, what is it?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In regards to what "Planet of Titans" was...

It was one of the many attempts to bring Star Trek back that culminated is ST:TMP. This film, to have been directed by Philip Kaufman (who went on to helm the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers), and Executive produced by Jerry Isenburg, had a screenplay written by the British writing team of Chris Bryant and Allan Scott.

Production designer was to be Ken Adams, who then hired Ralph McQuarrie to do some design work. (The resulting spaceship study models have appeared in the Wolf 359 graveyard scene, are are ogten misidentified as Enterprise designs for Star Trek Phase II.)

Bryant and Scoot's draft was rejected by Paramount in April 1977, as was Kaufman's rewrite in May (just before Star Wars came out).

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! What was the script about?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the book "Star Trek: Captain's Logs" which, as I recall, had some info about it. I'll post it when I get time later tonight.

Also, I think I once read an entire book devoted to "Star Trek: Phase II" by that same name, which had some info.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I have the book "Star trek phase II", and the manuscripts to the episodes that were supposed to be in that show were in that book.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

There were two TNG eps re-written from "Phase-II" scripts due to the writer's strike during the second season (which is why there were only -- thank god! -- 22 eps in the second season), I know one of them was "The Child" (but I forget what the other was...)

There was actually a "Phase-II" script which would've looked in-depth to the Klingon culture, except that the "Klingons" would be the warriors of the race, not the race itself. It woulda been vedy cool

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other was "Devil's Due" in the fourth season.

------------------
We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
"Wowsers!"
-Star Trek: Series ?: "A Pair o' Docs, part II"

MrNeutron
Member # 524

In reply to all the above, yes I've read everything mentioned.

The question remains, has anyone ever actually seen a script or treatment or other material from this project, rather than just someone sumamrizing it in a book or article?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

How about someone post a summary, 'cuz I'd like to know what it is actually about?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

MrNeutron
Member # 524

Okay, the book "Star Trek Phase II" summarizes the plot of Planet of Titans like this...

"Starfleet and the Klingons are in competition for a mysterious planet that might be the home of the Titans--an ancient, though technologically advanced, race that is thought to be extinct.

"At the height of the conflict, during whicht he planet is being pulled into a black hole, further conflict arises witht he planet's true inhabitants, the Cygnans, who had destroyed the Titans. To defeat the Cygnans, Kirk orders the Enterprise into the black hole. When the ship emerges into normal space again, it is in Earth orbit, thousands of years in the past.

"--it is the crew of the Enterprise who introduce fire...thus giving birth to the techbological chain of events that will lead to the Federation in the future...Kirk and his crew are revealed to be the Titans of legend."

Now, this is REALLY sketchy (annoyingly so), and we get only the setup and ending and none of the "meat" of the story. How did the Klingons fit in? What were the Cygans doing that Kirk had to go into a black hole (oy...more bad science)? And just what were the character conlifcts in the story? The ending is, I think, an attempt to do a Planet of the Apes twist finale, but looking back at it from 2001, it kind of reminds me of the ending of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe!

It's hard to evaluate something like this on the basis of such slim information, which is why I'm trying to locate more detail on just what this script was.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder, was this the script that, when it came to be attempted by Harlan Ellison, he was asked by some idiotic studio exec who'd read Chariots of the Gods, if he could put some ancient Mayans in - with Neanderthal man!

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kewl.

------------------
"Sack me!? I MADE the BBC!!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I hate TMP -- I wish this could've been it.

TPTB hated it too -- when originally released, Star Trek II was titled:

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

The II wasn't added until much later, for the video release, perhaps.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" is the complete title of the theatrical release.

It seems the answer to Mr. Neutron's question is NO. No one knows anything beyond the tidbits inserted in the odd publications here and there.

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps