Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » General help with site.

Author Topic: General help with site.
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea where to put it but...

I have massive amounts of data I would like to put that invloves starship history, legendary ships, fanfic stories, battle histories, war histories, technology, essasies, etc all writen by me for Star Trek. I would like to put this up onto a website of my own or a cooperation with some elses. However I am computer stupid, I type like a 2 year old, I sometimes break my printer becacuse it doens't work etc. So is there anyone who would like to help or give advice or something?

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are basic HTML tutorials which you can download (I recommend a search engine as there are quite literally millions of 'm), these should put you on the right track. You'll also need a hosting service (free or otherwise), to get that www.blahblah.com/cjb.net/net/org/etcetera address.

Those two ingredients are really all you need to get started, but I would advise you to not take it lightly; building a site is one thing, maintaining it is another.

BTW, once you're more experienced, you can also use cgi/asp scripts that provide more advanced features (such as messageboards, update-scripts, and the like).

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey -- that link didn't work.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes -- maintaining a site takes a lot more effort than one might think. As I have discovered....

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I can maintain the site on a ruglar basis such as once a week until college then it gets difficult. I intend to build a basic site and put the information database on it and then later I'll figure out how to build an advanced one similar to www.ditl.com

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

[This message has been edited by Matrix (edited March 11, 2001).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps