Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TNG Corridor Sets

Author Topic: TNG Corridor Sets
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, I know, all the things to talk about, and I wanna talk about the corridors of a destroyed starship!

But seriously. TOS had one curved corridor set and that was it. But if you watch TNG, you see lots of different corridor sets -- which to me, is just facinating, because you wouldn't think building a variety of corridor sets would be high on the producers' list.

You've got the Family corridors, which look very pastel and "friendly" compared to the rest of the ship.

You've got the "side" corridors with the indented floor and ceiling panels that lead to turbolifts and the transporter room.

You've got that corridor that makes an "L" coming away from the Holodeck/Brig/Cargo Bay door.

You've got the corridor that dead ends going forward, branches to the right, then goes off again to the left. This is where the infamous "Sofa" was in early TNG.

You've got the corridor set seen once in "Perfect Mate" (with red bulkheads) and then never again.

My question: how many corridor sets were built for TNG? Were they all permenent standing sets -- and if so, does anyone have a diagram of the stage layout of the corridors? Just wonderin'.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
And homeschooling also turns you into a socially well-adjusted person, capable of talking to people without them wanting to ram a f***ing chair down your throat! - PsyLiam, 3/11/01

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Craaaaaaaap.

I just wrote this frickin' HUGE post explaining the layout of all the standing TNG sets on the soundstage. And then the program hiccuped and erased the whole damn thing. And I don't want to do that again.

Digest version: ONE MAIN CORRIDOR SET. Engineering at the branching end, covered up to look like a corridor end. Following down: sickbay and junionr officer quarters. Cross intersection, to transporter room set. Then the cargo bay / holodeck doors, and the corridor end where doors to custom sets are built ("The Perfect Mate" et. al.)

Outside of the "senior" officers quarters is the "family" corridor set you talked about. the ends of this corridor are wild walls that are used as the walls outside Ten Forward.

That about does it. It's basically the same layout as for Voyager, too.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

[This message has been edited by Mark Nguyen (edited March 15, 2001).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which ones were salvaged from TMP though, and which were built from scratch?

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a copy of the soundstage plans for TMP, TNG, and Voyager.

As far as I can tell, nothing was actually disposed of. The TNG and Voyager corridors seem to be redresses of the originals - as far as I can tell in the same locations. I assume they have removable panels, so they can convert from Ent-E to Voyager now.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you scan that image of the TNG soundstage? For some reason, I'm really interested in their corridor layout.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
And homeschooling also turns you into a socially well-adjusted person, capable of talking to people without them wanting to ram a f***ing chair down your throat! - PsyLiam, 3/11/01

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The E-E and Voyager corridor sets are completely different sets, whcih is clearly shown with the TNG Movies Sketchbook. The Voyager corridors are likewise new (the TNG corridors were finally struck when they blew everything else up in "Generations"). You can tell the Voyager corridors apart as they are very angular (suitable for a smaller starship, methinks) and the set is overall shorter. You don't see many long corridor scenes on Voyager for that very reason, and even when you do it's not long before you see characters disapear around one corner or another dus to the angular nature of the set - this makes it more interesting transition-wise, and avoids the long corridor talk scenes we occaisionally see on TNG. Everyone remember "Realm of Fear"? Barclay and Troi walked doen the same set three times at least!

Remember, the TNG corridors were redressed from the Phase II sets by simply removing the arches in the "curved" part of the set, and adding in similar panels to what used to be there. You notice that the arches remain in the radial (straight) part of the set, and only got a new pant job. They were reconverted to the corridors of the Enterprise A in ST5 by simply covering up the LCARS interfaces, and in ST6 by adding in skeletal archways with lots of pipes and cables.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Great. So post the set layout por favor

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Um. Anyone going to scan the stage layout? Please?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.64 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with six eps posted)

BRUTUS
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treknophile, can you please post some scans of those stage layouts please? Highest res you can muster. I think there are many people here who would love to see those.
IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps