Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Well, this is something... different (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Well, this is something... different
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!! Shik is just so dead on, it made Coke come out of my nose.

I actually don't get why it's called Dark Angel. She's not a bad guy. She's not evil. There's nothing dark about her. She doesn't go around killing people willy nilly. It seems to be just a reach out and grab you title that means nothing.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brimstone was monsterably fuckably brilliant, Nimrod.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was so bad, especially the car from hell that he had to kill by shooting out the lights, and that girl that spread a disease.
She almost killed him in the end, of course, then he for no reason got his aim back, she just stood there, and he shot her eye out.
Worst ever way to end an episode, no thought behind it at all.
Plus, I've never seen a good show where the producer plays the main part. Sheesh.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the car thing was hilarious!! Completely took me by suprise, and then he heads off on roller blades

Don't know which episode you're referring to with the disease-spreader, as I missed a few of the first episodes.

It's A Helluva Life was an excellent piece of television as well.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Plus, I've never seen a good show where the producer plays the main part. Sheesh."

Frasier? Or, as an even better example, the sheer genius of Diagnosis: Murder.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelsey Grammer doesn't try to glorify himself, Peter Horton and Scott Bakula does. I don't like them, but I fully respect that you do.

And "The Devil" was laughable too. He's the surveyor of billions upon billions of lost, agonizing souls, controlling the domain of sins, and ol' Eziekel gets him all misty-eyed by referring to his banishment from heaven, in ten seconds. Awww, poor lucifer.

------------------

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

John Glover was unreal as the Devil - he protrayed him as a real character, an angel that had been cast down from heaven and tasked with upkeeping Hell.

He wasn't a caricature like the Devil in South Park (not), or other productions. He didn't go around killing people for the sake of it (Gabriel Byrne), nor did he have megalomaniacal tendencies (Al Pacino).

------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Great! I'm so glad you like it! Liking is good.

Now can someone tell me what the hell "Dark Angel" is about?
Is Lydecker your standard head henchman of an evil corporation/agency?
Does the main character do anything else than drive around on her black Suzuki? (Ok, so I saw a poster in a marvel-mag, I admit that)

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the near future, a shadowy agency codenamed Manticore decides to create an army of genetically engineered people. This works, except they escape. Then, later in the near future, some bad stuff happens and Seattle is very slightly more run down than it is today. Also, the genetically engineered person who is the star of the show grows up. And becomes hot. Or should I say, Hot. She goes around town, being Hot, and occasionally kicking ass.

That's pretty much it. I've never actually seen a full episode, so perhaps I'm missing out on some important subtext.

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

Nim
Member # 205

I get it. An army of "Pretenders", only they're not masquerading, they're just better than us. But The Centre, ahem, Manticore wants them back, yes? Or destroyed, huh?
I'll bet she gets laid one symbolical time per season, and then the person gets killed.
But I won't count it out, if it comes to sweden within the next four years I'll watch it (S:AaB took three years from -96 to get here, and then the fuckers cancelled it).

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure about the whole sex as metaphor for isolation vs. the impermenance of love angle. As I recall, there's a bit of romantic tension between her (her being Max I think, ooh, there's a sexy name) and her friend/co-conspirator. Or is he the one named Max? I'll have to ask my mother, as she's the one person in my family who watches it. Anyway, he's a 733t underground journalist. Think Max Headroom, only less bizarre. And less cool.

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

And I'm not sure about the Pretender angle. I mean, she's supposedly smart and stuff, but mainly she kicks people and jumps through windows.

------------------
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, she's got the whole romantic tension thing going for her wheel-chair bound partner.

They haven't shown her getting lucky yet. There was one episode where the feline DNA in her genetic makeup basically caused her to go into heat, so she spent the whole episode trying not to jump in the sack with everybody.

John Savage makes a kickass bad guy, but other than that, the show is highly predictable and fairly contrived. Jessica Alba's insane gorgeousness is the only thing keeping it afloat IMHO.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. If you really want a feminine genetically-improved heroine - go read Heinlein's "Friday" (I'm sure the writers did). It's on his "worst 3 books list" - but it's lightyears ahead of Dark Angel.

And yes, I worship RAH - but anyone can have a bad day (or write for money, as he put it).

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Nim
Member # 205

Sol, I didn't mean she and those like her were [i]like[/] the "Pretenders" in ways of infiltration and espionage, just that the layout of the organization and its members sounds similar. One leader or group of dito at the top, guarding the dream, then some powerful "generals" and section managers, then the foot soldiers and field operatives.

About the sex, I only meant that the heroes and heroines seldom get any, they're too busy saving the world or clearing their names.
(If the producers do show them some mercy and throw in some piece of meat, the subject often dies, have totally different goals and ambitions but wish the hero good luck, or they turn out to be a demon/alien/german war criminal/warlock/sellout.)

Duncan McCleod would be an exception that proves the rule, I seem to recall him having a blond girlfriend during the three seasons they aired in Sweden.
Makes for good debriefing and relaxation, I'll wager.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps