Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » On the Reitrement of A Treknology Legend (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: On the Reitrement of A Treknology Legend
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah... misread.

Still, I don't see how the fan community can on the one hand clamour for a fresh team putting together a fresh Trek, and then turn around and say "Well, put together a new team, but keep him, and him, and him, too..." because that's what's happening here. If the fans want a fresh series, that should come with the expectation that some well-known and well-loved faces won't be back.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's been clamouring for new blood? Certainly not I! Herman Zimmerman is cool, but I canNOT get comfortable with Eaves' style.

I'm Probert and Sternbach all the way.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want new people to replace the good ones that are already there. The only people I want replaced are the ones who screw everything up (*cough*Braga*cough*). :-)

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether Braga is the antichrist or not is debatable,as I'm sure Simon will point out.

The problem is, the fan community is getting all stipulative all-of-a-sudden as to who deserves to stay and who deserves to go. And to be blunt, that opinion may be many things, but it sure as hell isn't enlightened.

How the hell are we supposed to know who will positively contribute to the show and who won't?

The franchise isn't a democracy. When TPTB wanted to kill Spock, they didn't go to the conventions and do a straw poll, did they? What the fans think isn't what's best for the franchise. I think Rick would be the first to agree that TPTB want to shake things up, and that the fanbase wants to shake things up.

It's not like Sternbach was dragged out into an alley and shot...

------------------
-Omega, April 6

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I said, Braga can be a great writer, but he's a lousy producer.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prove it.

But seriously, the Braga era of Voyager seems to be the one wherein most of the fan-favorite episodes can be found. This seems a curious coincidence, to say the least.

(Of course, I say this with only the vaguest of notions as to when Braga's tenure began, and which episodes are "fan-favorites," so I would open to corrections should any prove forthcoming.)

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Meld" is my favorite so far. Long before Braga, thank you...

--Jonah

------------------

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Season 1 on Voyager was VERY strong

Caretaker
Time and Again
Prime Factors
Jetrel
Faces
Heroes and Demons
Phage
Eye of the Needle
State Of Flux
Projections
and
The 37ers - a fitting end to the first year... it doesn't make sense when watching it as part of season 2... quite silly.

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

I just wish they'd kept the landing capacity a secret. Leave the nacelles in the "up" position throughout the first season, then have them decide to land in "The 37s" and bammo! part of blue alert is the nacelles dropping to horizontal.

But unfortunately, the impulse engines are on the movable part of the pylons, and need to be in the "down" position in order to thrust along the ship's centre of mass...

--Jonah

------------------

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to be such a techo-novice...

Can anyone give me a quick synopsis of which designer created which ships? I have no idea which look is who's... (although I think I remember that Zimmerman created the E-e (coolest-looking ship in the Quadrant)

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Um, I'll try as best I can...

Ent-nil - Jeffries
Ent-refit - Richard Taylor/Andrew Probert
Excelsior - ?
Klingon BoP - ?
Ent-D - Probert
Ferengi Marauder - Probert
Rom. Warbird - Probert
Vor'cha - Sternbach
Nebula - ugh. Meninger or Jein or someone but Sternbach may have contributed.
Galor - Sternbach?
Type V Shuttle - Sternbach?
Deep Space Nine - Mainly Sternbach, w/some help from Zimmerman and Okuda
Runabout - Sternbach
Miradorn Raider - Delgado
Negh'Var - Sterbach?
Olympic - Jein? Meninger?
Jem'Hadar Bug - ?
Ent B - Eaves
Voyager - Sternbach
Voyager's shuttles - Sternbach
Jem'Hadar Cruiser - ?
Ent-E - Eaves & Zimmerman
Phoenix - Eaves
Prometheus - Sternbach
Dauntless - Sternbach
Son'a ships - Eaves
Cardassian repair station - Eaves?
Equinox - Sternbach

------------------
-Omega, April 6

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited April 17, 2001).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weren't the Excelsior and the BOP done by Nilo Rhodis ??SP?? I remember the name from "The Art of Star Trek" and it's a... different name at that.

While we are on the topic of tech guys... I had forgotten about - until flipping through the Encyclopaedia, does Richard James (who essentially took over from Herman Zimmerman) still do Trek?

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Nilo Rodis also do the Oberth as well?

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oberth - David Carson
Excelsior - Bill George
Klingon BoP - Nilo Rodis
Ent-D - Probert
Ferengi Marauder - Probert
Rom. Warbird - Probert
Vor'cha - Sternbach
Nebula - Miarecki, Sternbach, Okuda. Built by Jein.
Galor - Sternbach. Built by Miarecki.
Olympic - Bill George

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. Okay, yes, I will miss Sternbach's work.
BTW, who designed Relativity (arguably the best-looking ship we've ever seen)?

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps