Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Evidence for Spock as first SF Vulcan? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Evidence for Spock as first SF Vulcan?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Bjo Trimble's Star Trek Concordance, Spock being the first Vulcan in Starfleet is established in TOS episode "Whom Gods Destroy." I haven't seen this episode in about 15 years, so I don't remember this line. Does anyone has this episode on tape?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, you think a little thing like continuity would stop them?

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That little line is contradicted by the Intrepid. Remember: a Starfleet ship crewed by Vulcans? I suppose its possible for another Vulcan to graduate Starfleet Academy and achieve a captain rank before Spock, but, I find it easier to pretend that whomever said Spock was the first Vulcan was mistaken.

Also, you know, c'mon people. T'Pau will most likely be a member of the Vulcan science community assigned to the Enterprise. There's no evidence that she would have to be part of Starfleet to serve on the ship -- look at Kira, or Odo -- as examples of officers from another service serving in the chain of command.

Also, if the series is set BEFORE Starfleet is established, then the problem is solved quite nicely.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spock = first Vulcan came from where exactly? I recall it too, just can't remember why.

Doesn't seem to hold water, Intrepid (as mentioned), Admirals in the movies etc.

------------------
TK

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Spock was the first, but like Tuvok, took a vacation, allowing other Vulcans to be promoted past him? Just a thought.

------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, how about this: early eps mentioned the Enterprise as being part of the United Earth Space Probe Agency. Maybe the Intrepid wasn't initially a Starfleet ship, but was by the time it was destroyed; or, fllowing Spock's proving that Humans and Vulcans could work together, a whole bunch of the Vulcan Defence Forces were brought over and given a Starfleet vessel to crew?

------------------
"It strikes me that there are enough episodes of the Simpsons that people could speak entirely in Simpsonese, using references from the show to explain or describe an endless series of situations. Nelson and Apu . . . at Tinagra.

But now I�ve brought Star Trek into it again, haven�t I. Sorry."

- James Lileks, 09/04/2001

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking something along those lines, too. The Vulcans could already have been trained on Vulcan, and were given SF commissions at higher ranks, w/o going to the Academy. Perhaps the captain had been the captain of a Vulcan ship for twenty years, so they weren't going to make him start back out at the rank of ensign when he joined SF.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I was thinking that the Intrepid need not be a starfleet ship at all. The dialogue doesn�t state that the ship was starfleet, does it? It could have been given to the vulcans who then turned it into a science-vessel.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Why would a non-Starfleet ship crewed entirely by Vulcans have an English name? It it were a Vulcan ship, you'd expect it to have a Vulcan name. I suppose it could be a non-Starfleet Federation ship, though.

------------------

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet to graduate from SF Academy. All the other Vulcans could have been exchange officers or direct entry officers, enough experience and skills, so no academy time.

Couldn't the Intrepid be an officer exchange ship? One all-human starship crew for one all-Vulcan starship crew?

This ship could be related, Nebula-class sharship commanded by Solok, Sisko's former classmate and longtime rival. This ship was also an all-Vulan ship. Granted by 2275, all-Vulcan ships or even ships fully crewed by one species could be common.

------------------
"There will be a substantial reward for the one who finds the Millennium Falcon. You are free to use any methods necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegrations."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back)

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having a Starfleet Vulcan of higher rank than Spock doesn't strike me as particularly odd. Spock graduated without prior military training, so he probably was an Ensign at graduation day (or a Lt.(j.g.) if we go by the nice little Phase II-era idea that not only medics but also Vulcans automatically graduate at higher initial rank that regular folks).

But Vulcan could have been full of local professional soldiers at the time Spock joined - a Captain from the Vulcan Pacifist Self-Defence Nonviolent Paramilitary could have attended the Academy a few weeks later, and graduated directly as Starfleet Captain. In fact, he'd probably have possessed extraneous skills and training for that rank already.

Anybody remember MW Bonnano's little theory about the Intrepid? In "Strangers from the Sky", the background story goes something like this: Starfleet was growing annoyed at the Vulcan refusal to actively participate in Federation defence, so they took a couple of warships to Vulcan orbit and went "Give us some GIs, or else...". Vulcans shrugged and provided the crew for one complete starship running under Starfleet flag. Humans were mostly ashamed by this little exercise.

Timo Saloniemi

AaronAgassi
Ex-Member

Perhaps the contradiction is somehow resolvable by appealing to the TNG eppisode 'A Matter of Honor', concerning the Interfleet Exchange Program.

It is established that Federation member civilizations each have their own Starfleets.

Spock may have been the first Vulcanian to serve among Humans, even if Intrepid had been already in service.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Individual starfleets for each Federation members? Not by the time of the TOS movies, that's for sure.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

AaronAgassi
Ex-Member

How sure?
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the movies we see numerous aliens wearing the generic Starfleet uniform, suggesting that there might be only one unified cover organization. However, these aliens are still in a minority against all the humans (or human-looking people)we see - so it could be argued that they are all "renegades" of their society, having chosen the human Starfleet instead of the local military for some untold reason.

"A Matter of Honor" is a bit ambiguous, though. The Benzite who comes aboard is wearing a Starfleet uniform, as are the other exchange officers. In contrast, Riker wears his "native" uniform when going to the Klingon vessel, and Kurn later wears his native uniform when serving on the Enterprise. So this would suggest that Benzites do not have a "native military" that would have a uniform of its own.

Nevertheless, this Benzite is a graduated Ensign, whereas we know the first Benzite was accepted to SF Academy only a year earlier, in "Coming of Age". So the situation is parallel to the dilemma of a Vulcan Captain of the Intrepid serving simultaneously with Cmdr Spock, who supposedly (yet still only noncanonically!) was the first Vulcan in Starfleet.

It seems easiest to say that both the Vulcan Captain and the Benzite Ensign graduated using a "fast-track" mechanism built into Starfleet training programs for people who have previous military training. Where the Benzite got his training is unclear, if his race doesn't have its own uniformed service - but perhaps it does, and the Benzite wore a Starfleet uniform only because he specifically wanted to pursue his Starfleet career, not just briefly visit a Starfleet vessel and then return to his native military. So the Benzite was fundamentally different from Riker or Kurn in this respect.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps