Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Errand of Mercy

Author Topic: Errand of Mercy
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, just finished watching Errand of Mercy... John Colicos was GREAT!

Anyway, did anyone notice what that 'document' said that Kor had detailing the Klingon occupation of Organia? It had some sort of 'crest' at the top. If you notice that this similar crest appears later on the wall of Kor's office... and its not the usual old Klingon symbol that we all know.

Also, after seeing this again, I so reckon that the 'green sashed' people from the Khitomer conference were organians. Kirk could be passed off as one of them. And as someone pointed out, Uhura wasn't arresting one of the green-sashed people, but merely holding one of them back from what was going on.

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the Organians didn't show an awful lot of interest in galactic politics, or did they?

I am going to rewatch Errand, I think.

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They, from the ONE planet, controlled the entire Federation and Klingon Empire... at that time. Neither side could even so much as TOUCH a weapon. They didn't LIKE to do anything like it, but they did DEFINATELY say that the two would be friends... so why not have them overseeing the beginnings of that Friendship.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, John Colicos passed away March 6th of last year.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Has that been more than a year since he passed away!?! At least he still gave us "Once More Unto the Breach".

Andrew

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He died March 6, 2000

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Zor Prime
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Star Trek 6 novel mentions that there was no word from the Organians. Starfleet expected them to do something, but they seemed to have disappeared.
Maybe went to the same place as Kosh and the other First Ones, oops, sorry, wrong show.
The ST6 novel also mentions Carol Marcus being injured in a Klingon raid, and that explains why Kirk was so pissed off at them.

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I thought it was made clear in the movie that Kirk HATED the Klingons because they killed his son.

------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Carol Marcus plotline was in the book. . . but it wasn't certain it was Klingons who did it - they were testing out their firing-when-cloaked doohickey after all. And it was pretty nonsensical, Kirk going "I hate Klingons because they might or might not have done a raid in which my ex got injured."

No. Far better was the way he hated Klingons for killing his son, and in the end he discovers that not all Klingons are bad.

------------------
"It strikes me that there are enough episodes of the Simpsons that people could speak entirely in Simpsonese, using references from the show to explain or describe an endless series of situations. Nelson and Apu . . . at Tinagra.

But now I�ve brought Star Trek into it again, haven�t I. Sorry."

- James Lileks, 09/04/2001

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of the Organians drifting away to some other plane of existance.

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. They probably never much cared about parenting for us humanoids; when they saw us intruding their planet, they decided the neighborhood was gone and packed their stuff and left. They had been considering that for a while anyway, since they no longer needed corporeal bodies, but this was the last straw.

To keep us from following, they then cooked up a story about them "caring" for us and "helping" us avoid war and "promoting cooperation" in the future. An initial show of force made us give up our hot war for a while and go to cold war instead, and bought enough time for the Organians to depart. When we found out we had been fooled and the Organians weren't enforcing their peace any longer, we just shrugged and decided to go on with the cold war since it was going so nicely for us. The Klingons did the same.

(BTW, the ST6 novelization claims there was an Earth-human delegation at Khitomer, in addition to Klingon, Vulcan and Romulan ones. No separate Starfleet delegation, and all the colors were changed - perhaps the novelist followed an early script version?)

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just rewatched EoM.
The symbol on top of the document is not quite the same as the wall symbol. The document was most likely just printed on Organian paper (and the only thing I could read was "KLINGON EMPIRE").

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not quite the same? So it is similar, then?

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

If it's pretty much the same, we could assume they are the same, seeing as there is not always the best dialogue between production sections.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't think we'd need to attribute motives so base to the Organians. It seems just as likely to me that, once the Federation/Klingon peace was getting off the ground, they decided it was time to let the two go the rest of the way on their own.

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps