Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Who wants a prequel?

Author Topic: Who wants a prequel?
Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the recent weeks i thought about the concept for Series 5 being a prequel and i must say i come to the conclusion... i really don't like it a bit!

Maybe i'm a little afraid of the StarWars Episode1 factor... dull story and no real surprises!

Isn't that the problem? We all know the History of the Federation, at least in written form. The real problem for such a series is not to bore the fans with already known facts.

The best idea for a prequel was in my opinion the Sulu Adventure... even that it was only a fan idea.

I think it is again like StarWars. Who wants to know how Anakin got his powers???? I really wanted to see how Luke, Han and Leia struggle with the remaining Empire fractions.

What do you think? Is is a prequel really a good idea?

------------------
Visit Seventhworld, with its new Sci-Fi project FALLENWALLS
www.seventhworld.de

And of course my own StarTrek Series Project
www.stnemesis.de

Just a preview...

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

They need to shake up the formula: another "modern" (24th Century) Trek flying around from planet to planet like TNG or VOY won't work. Neither would a series with the same basic premise set at a later point in history. If it's set in the modern or future timeline, they need to shake it up a bit, a la' Andromeda.

This is why DS9 was so popular, IMHO: it really WASN'T the same old, same old, while VOY was TNG Seasons 8 - 14.

A Prequel is a GREAT idea.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's not.

And the Star Wars thing is a bad example. I'd much rather see Anakin's fall from grace than watch Luke, Han and Leia run around after the remains of the bad guys that they defeated in the films. Besides, if you want that, you've got the books.

(BTW, I'm not saying that Episode 1 was good. I'm saying to could have been good.)

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok ok i concur!
My example is a bad one, and for the books i can only say: Thrawn rules!
Anakins fall from grace could be most likely shown in one Episode alone... not in 3.

But before we go too much into StarWars,
on most of the websites i noticed strong feelings for and against the prequel idea. Personly i can say i do not like the idea, on the way of possible story ongoing and the new upcoming designs... and why
is the name of the new ship again "Enterprise"?
Talking to friends of mine, all of them were deeply disappointed by Paramounts new idea.

But lets get back to your opinions!

------------------
Visit Seventhworld, with its new Sci-Fi project FALLENWALLS
www.seventhworld.de

And of course my own StarTrek Series Project
www.stnemesis.de

Just a preview...

[This message has been edited by Nemesis (edited April 18, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
way by the praetors cloak is the name of the new ship again Enterprise?

Did you mean WHY? Well, because Paramount told Berman & Co. in no uncertain terms that the new series would only be green-lighted if the ship was the Enterprise. When you think of it, the Enterprise is the basis of Star Trek. DS9 and VOY have been exceptions. You'll never see another Trek series set on another Starship Voyager, but I suspect that there will be more Star Trek spinoffs in the decades to come, and they will feature some new version of the beloved Enterprise ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether they do a prequel or a sequel doesn't make much difference to me. It's like Jeff said, it need to be a totally different idea, not just more seasons of TNG...

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, from what I hear its gonna deal with a vulcan/human relationship after 'First Contact'. I'm thinking this might be a good story. This ship being named 'Enterprise' can be a result of the Enterprise-E interfering with that timeline, perhaps someone in the 2070's (who knows about the Enterprise-E's help with Cocrane's warp flight) had a hand in naming the new ship? If thats the case, it would be safe to assume April/Pike/Kirk's Enterprise was named after that ship (which the Ent-E was named after). Got to love causality loops.

------------------
Wes Button[email protected]
TechFX StudiosThe United Federation Uplink
------------------
I don't like Wesley Crusher.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'm already getting rather dizzy!

I don't care what they come up with, as long as it meets my expectations. (And they are quite high).

I wouldn't mind seeing more seasons of TNG --- at least that's what I thought in 1994. Having seen Voyager, I completely agree - no more of that, thanks a lot.

------------------
Kryten: Pub? - Ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve
advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of
fermented vegetable drinks. - Red Dwarf "Timeslides"

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first heard about the prequal series, I was kinda hoping for the Romulan Wars. The series could open up in the middle or end of them, and then the UFP could start up and we'd see the first years of its existence. Example:

Season 1 Romulan War
Season 2 Romulan War
Season 3 Romulan Wars End
Season 4 UFP/UESPA(United Earth Space Probe Agency) born
Season 5 Problem Years/Usual Season Stuff
Season 6 Problem Years/Usual Season Stuff
Season 7 Problem Years/Usual Season Stuff

I thought something like this would kinda interesting. Romulans and Humans going at it like the DS9 War. This would literally would have been the 'Birht of the Federation.'

------------------
"Asteroids do not concern me, Admrial. I want that ship, not excuses."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back)

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once started to write a story in which that old Enterprise seen in TMP was Cochrane's second warp-ship, built w/ help from the Vulcans, and named "Enterprise" for reasons he and Sloane would never tell anyone (obviously, named after the E-E).

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I still don't understand is why the space ship Enterprise seen on the wall in 'The Motion Picture' does not have warp nacelles, while the Phoenix has (and also a certain probe has them as well...)

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible that it might just have been an interplanetary ship, not needing warp nacelles.

Of course, there's also no reason to assume that that Enterprise was built *after* the Phoenix. It could have been built at any time in the Star Trek universe from 1990 to 2060.

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I figured that ring around it was the warp "nacelle", à la the "annular" warp engine on the T'Pau...

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure if anyone else has brought this up in the many other prequel threads, but there is another justification for using an Enterprise in an early Federation series--the symbol. Using an Enterprise provides an easy excuse for using the old delta (assuming that the symbols stay with the ship names).

If you ask me, the (Starfleet) symbol is much more important than even the name Enterprise in tying a new and different series (whether in the past, present, or future) to the rest of the franchise. It seems like a rather stupid trivial thing, but I cannot imagine a Star Trek show without it.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps