Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » To Boldly Go... did it die in "Friendship One"?

Author Topic: To Boldly Go... did it die in "Friendship One"?
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoiler (?)
S
S
S
S
S
S
S

In my mind, the most damning piece of writing ever seen during some 20-years of Trek took place in Janeway's office(?) during the end of the episode "Friendship One".

Janeway and Chkotay (however it's spelled) are bemoaning the death of Carey, and Janeway sums up her "pioneer spirit" in a statement which in effect states that one life is too much to sacrifice to the process of exploration.

WHAT!!!

(multiple expletives).
I doubt that Carey thought so when joining Starfleet.
I didn't think Starfleet officers were guaranteed the right to die in bed. Kirk, Spock and Picard didn't seem to think so - nor did Sisko. Heroes all - placing the needs of the many before the needs of the few (or the one).

Janeway once told Kim: "Wierd is part of the job". I thought danger was too.

I do hope this isn't indicative of the new philosophy we are going to run into during ST5. I wouldn't watch.

To me, Star Trek has always been summed-up by "To boldly go where no man has gone before". Boldly denotes courage - the willingness to take a calculated risk for a percieved good cause. Not the risk of a broken nail - but death itself.

I don't know who wrote that line - but fire the writer.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it just indicates that Janeway and Carey were ... um ... close, and Janeway's personal feelings blinded her to the "greater good."

Ben didn't seem all that happy after Jen's death, I might point out.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited May 04, 2001).]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jen wasn't Starfleet, though.

------------------
"I�ll never fall in the arms of someone sincere
I fall just the same
And like before, it's just too hard."
---Kim Leaman, "Sincere"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Point.

I'm sure every Starfleet captain debates exploration v. life when someone dies. When Yar died ... when Jadzia died ... the price hits you like a ton of bricks.

Of course, the other arguement is that this proves Janeway doesn't deserve command ... HAH!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that is where I was headed - but the remark doesn't seem true to the character. I think it was one of the worst lines written in trek history, along with: "His brain is gone, Jim".

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think you're overreacting, but I won't deny that it's a valid overreaction. If that makes any sense.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because she said a live too much for exploration means its the end. A single live is too much for anything. Generally you try to avoid ANY lives being lost if its possible, and you will go the hard way if you have to. Here's a question imagine one of close ones die for no apparent reason. How would you feel afterwards?

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think the point is that her statement is just like saying "Oops! Someone's died! Guess we'd better make sure people stay on Earth forever and never go into space again."

If exploration isn't enough to lose even one life, we should have destroyed the space program after Apollo 1. That was three lives!

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember at least ONE Starfleet Captain angrily asserting "risk IS out business... That's what this ship is for... That's why we're aboard her..."

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

i think Janeway's a bitch. End of discussion.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#

------------------
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

[This message has been edited by Sol System (edited May 06, 2001).]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, she just bitches but she's definately not a bitch.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember who said it, but some philosopher or writer said something about a specific great work of literature being worth the lives of any number of old ladies. Does anyone remember the arrogant bastard who said this? (I don't agree with this sentiment, by the way.)

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Treknophyle
Member # 509

TSN and Peregrinus:
Thanks - you got it.

"To boldly go..."

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

"If a writer has to rob his mother, he will not hesitate: The 'Ode on a Grecian Urn' is worth any number of old ladies."
--
William Faulkner

------------------
--
Jeff K

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps