Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » First Contact day? (Homestead $$$$)

Author Topic: First Contact day? (Homestead $$$$)
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, a minor nitpicking here:

In Voyager's episode 'Homestead' they selebrate 'First Contact day'. Fine by me! But they are selebrating in one of the final episodes of the season, meaning near the end of a year. But wasn't First Contact made in April???

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agghhh...no!! Not a continuity error in Voyager! Say it's not so!!

------------------
"Let me ask you something, Mr. Garibaldi, a purely philosophical question. On a scale of 1 to 10, how stupid do you think I am anyway?" - Bester
Federation Starship Datalink: Brand new look, fresh minty scent, same great taste!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because it's the end of the season, doesn't mean it's the end of the year. But, we now have a definite year for VGR: 2378.

------------------
"Of course I'm paranoid! Everyone's trying to kill me."
- Weyoun, "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was that ever really in doubt? We know the initial stardate when Voyager was lost..

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voyager has succeeded twice in one endeavor in the seventh season-they have frelled Okuda's Chronology.

First, the episode places the end of TOS in 2270.

Second, the question of the stardate year. Okuda assumed that stardates start in January and end in December-an Earth year. Now, we see definitive proof that the stardate year is from late summer of the last year to the late summer of the next year. (There are indications of this in earlier episodes of Star Trek, but nothing definitive.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Okuda's work is frelled further in the next series.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

[This message has been edited by targetemployee (edited May 11, 2001).]

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of Trek is pretty much frelled now....

------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christ almighty! The chronology has been compromised! Quick, Mr. President, to your bunker...

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could've been worse. They could've compromised our cookies...

------------------
Lister: "Cat, what are you doing?"
Cat: "I'm courting."
Lister: "Courting who?"
Cat: "Whoever shows up!"
-Red Dwarf, "Me�"

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speak for yourself, mine have been, arrrrgh!!!

------------------

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's dead, Jim.

Oh, and so are you...

------------------
"Asteroids do not concern me, Admrial. I want that ship, not excuses."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back)

IP: Logged
warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not your cookies!!! Anything but them. Say it isn't so.
IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before we all go into panic, let's remember that Okuda has been quite willing to correct his own writings in the past, when confronted with good-speculation-disproven-by-introduction-of-new-stupid-facts. He toned down the absoluteness of timing of TMP for the second chronology, admitting it was speculative - just in time to make Icheb's line of Kirk's mission ending in 2270 NOT contrary to it.

I bet he'd be willing to rework the chronology based on the new evidence if it was affordable from the Pocket Books point of view. I doubt it is, though. But if SDXX000.0 indeed falls on late summer, then a lot of references make better sense:

-"Charlie X" and the relative positioning of Thanksgiving within the first TOS season (even though at this point, stardates aren't informative yet, this sets a precedent for the proper "seasons vs. dating" correspondence)
-The summerly climate of LaBarre, France, in the beginning of the fourth season and SD cycle of TNG. (the position of Orion seemed winterly, though, in the closing shot)
-The celebration of Christmas apparently being foremost in Picard's mind in "Generations"
-The celebration of Christmas apparently being in the very recent past in mid-season TOS "Dagger of the Mind"
-etc. etc.

Are there any explicit contradictions of this in the canon material?

Timo Saloniemi

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps