Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Missing day in "Clues" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Missing day in "Clues"
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching the TNG episode "Clues" recently and started wondering about something. When Data resets the ships chronometer to make everyone think that only 30 seconds had passed when in fact more than a day had passed, he would also have had to change the stardate, otherwise people would see that there was a day missing.

However, changing the stardate according to the ships computer would lead to a problem when the Enterprise next came into contact with another Federation vessel/starbase. The crews of the vessels would quickly realise that the stardates were different on the Enterprise.

------------------
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"
Samuel Adams

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Data's a pretty smart guy. He probably set the computer to slowly gain time over the next few weeks so that by the time anyone would realize it, the chronometer would be all caught up again. Noone's going to mis 30 seconds here and there...

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah..... I suppose could live with that explanation. Still though..... to make up a day before the next rendezvous, and someone could still cop on to the fact that something was going on with the computer.

------------------
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"
Samuel Adams

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would've made more sense for Data -- especially after the second memory wipe -- to tell the crew that they had been out for two days.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be easily explained that the wormhole that they went through could be classified as a space/time distortion which sent the Enterprise 48 hours into the future.

One has to take note, however that LaForge was able to determine that the clock was tampered with the first time. So unless they came up with a sneaky way to adjust the clock, they would have returned to the same area, and the mystery would have continued over again......

------------------
"Intelligence People. You guys are unbelievable. You dump a mess like this (that you created) on my lap, and then you come to me whining "Where is our funding"? Well I'll tell you where your funding is. Can you say Health-Care"
- The President of the United States of America, The Long Kiss Goodnight

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, they only got wise to the clock because they went looking for problems. If their suspicions never got going, they may not have ever found it.

Although, my guess is that, eventually, however good the deception had been, the tampering would be discovered. Even if it was years later while the Ent. was having a computer overhaul at a starbase.

I also still think that Picard was allowed to keep his memories, though and he's just never let on. Not even to Data.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

Yeah, there was a moment there near the end where he took a while to make up his mind, it was looking dodgy.

------------------
Samuel Adams

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the whole point about stardates etc. was to compensate for things like time dilation etc. It's probably standard procedure to update the ship's clock from a beacon whenever possible, and just because they don't know they've lost two days doesn't mean they wouldn't be surprised if it happened occasionally. . .

------------------
Phasers

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they might not realize they lost two days by looking at the clock ...

But if Kyle Riker calls up Will and says, "You were supposed to call me on Monday Earth Time?!"

And Will replies, "it IS Monday Earth Time!"

And Kyle replied, "Nooo ... it's Wednesday..."

Well, people will figure it out.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

Data: "Computer, release 5 parts per million Tetrahydracannabinol into the life-support system"

Then no-one would be in much of a state to figure anything out

------------------
Samuel Adams

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Actually, there's something more disturbing in that episode.

When Data refuses to cooperate with Picard's investigation into what happened, Picard tells Data that he will be court-martialed and "stripped down, to find out what has gone wrong..."

What?

Did the Measure of a Man ruling get tossed out? Or is Starfleet in the habit of executing everybody found guilty in a court martial? (No wonder Picard hates Phillipa? so much! She was trying to get him killed!)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Books have also stated that as well, as this is not in Picard's Character.

The script was also fan-based. It's likely that the writer never saw "Measure of a man".

------------------
"Intelligence People. You guys are unbelievable. You dump a mess like this (that you created) on my lap, and then you come to me whining "Where is our funding"? Well I'll tell you where your funding is. Can you say Health-Care"
- The President of the United States of America, The Long Kiss Goodnight

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Eh ... I don't buy that explanation. Any fan who likes Trek to submit a script good enough to be bought probably isn't a "casual" fan. It's just sad that TPTB didn't catch the mistake ... ::shrug::

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disassembling Data wouldn't necessarily mean he'd be dead. They could put him back together again.

------------------
Lister: "Drop dead, Rimmer."
Rimmer: "Already have done."
Lister: "Encore."
-Red Dwarf, "Kryten"

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They would probably one take Data apart to find out what made him soooo stubborn and disobey a direct order the way he did. Us Humans hate unsolved mysteries and Picard was probably trying to 'scare' Data into telling him what was going on. They could just switch him off and plug a cable into his brain and download the logs. Probably just an empty threat.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps