Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » B-stories: welcome diversion or annoying distraction? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: B-stories: welcome diversion or annoying distraction?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The episodes where plots B and C etc are 'resolved' by using the A plot and vice versa suck... they only work in Seinfeld!! ;o) i.e. The Soup Nazi... "NEXT!"

That Voyager A,B,C plot description above fitted some episodes of Voyager exactly.

The best episodes with multiple plots are the episodes with an A plot - with an ongoing B/C plot - that tie into other episodes - you can watch the episode - 'fresh' for the A plot - and pick up threads by grabbing on to the B and C plots and being taken for the ride. That is what happened when I got into the Practice. I watched Ally McBeal all first season - and then caught the cross-over with the Practice - I hadn't succeeded in getting into the Practice before that - and subsequently - after the crossover episode - I began watching!! DS9 did this... Babylon 5 did this... even TNG did this on occassion - but issues didn't necessarily get touched on again the very next episode - maybe not even for another year - when the writers felt they wanted to bring it up again - but it happened. The Voyager writers got this type of 'continuity' with the DS9/B5/The Practice type of continuity - where episodes link each other each or every few episodes. DS9 also did the TNG thing of bringing back threads now and again... i.e. Lwaxana Troi, Enabran Tain, Section 31, the Genetically Engineered people... They weren't the crux of DS9, but they were successfully retouched apon, in other episodes. I just wish they had touched apon a few other things.

Thomas Riker
Kai Opaka
T'Rul
Jadzia's family

Amongst other things.

Andrew

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'In The Cards' was the only episode where the main onrunning story took second place to a silly harmless little tale viz. the two plikes getting the card vs. the arc story of the coming Dominion War.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps