Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » DS9's role in the current chronology

Author Topic: DS9's role in the current chronology
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I am writing this in response to a comment made by another member. I don't remember the name; the comment is in the ships in "Endgame" thread.

The first trailer lists the shows by the leading characters, and is in order from recent to past. They are Janeway, Picard, and Kirk and Spock. Sisko is omitted.

This is a major omission. Are the TPTB saying that the third series is not Star Trek? If so, how does this change the chronology of Star Trek?

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

[This message has been edited by targetemployee (edited May 24, 2001).]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sisko wasn't a starship captain (he boldly stayed were no man had stayed before). Maybe that has something to do with it.

------------------
"You know, putting up a tent is like making love to a beautiful woman. You undo the zip, pop in your pole and slip into the old bag."
- Swiss Toni, The Fast Show (British comedy show)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I wouldn't take it as snub at DS9 by TPTB, as some loonies on other boards are presently taking it. The promo was done by the marketing people, and incorporates the captain of the show people were watching at that moment (Janeway), the captain of the show everyone liked (Picard) and the then the original series to establish it as a prequel. While by all reports it was a fairly effective promo (I haven't seen it) based on the fact they didn't have any footage for release, we've gotta remember that the UPN promo people gave us some real gems during Voyager's run (Emmy quality, folks ) and can't be expected to do any better.

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate promos. Always some marketing guy on steroids with a smooth voice yelling about WHAT EXCITING THINGS WE'RE GOING TO SEE IN THE *NEXT* EPISODE!!!!!!!!

(VERY American, those promos )

------------------
"You know, putting up a tent is like making love to a beautiful woman. You undo the zip, pop in your pole and slip into the old bag."
- Swiss Toni, The Fast Show (British comedy show)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still, the promo VO guy is better than the old DS9 sponsor guy -- YEESH!

"Staaar Trek... Deepspacenine... is brought t'you byyy --"

First-year dropout from the William... Shatner Schoolof... ACTing.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mentioned Sisko's absence. He did command the Defiant. Granted he stay at DS9 most of the time, but when he ventured out from the doghouse, he usually explored and discovered new life, civilizations, and tech in the Gamma.

------------------
"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Lord Darth Vader - (SW5: The Empire Strikes Back)

IP: Logged
Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And kicked Jemmie butt (or not).
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Latest news:
(from Trektoday)

quote:
The spot that aired in Voyager's finale last week (and that tease was created by marketing, not B&B [producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga]) had Janeway, Picard, Spock, and Kirk in the copy. Some of your members objected that Sisko should have been mentioned as well since he was a captain, but as another one of your members rightly guessed, the more well-known characters in the Star Trek saga were named."

And the good news:
quote:
"That having been said," Bouknight continued, "I hope your members will be pleased to learn that we are listening to their concerns and observations. We've updated the promo tease to include Sisko, and it will begin airing during the two hours of Voyager on primetime UPN Wednesday, May 30."

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...more well-known..."? Still sounds like a shot against DS9. "Sisko? 'Deep Space Nine'? What are you talking about? Nobody remembers that show..."
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Kirk - "Ah, the classic Trek!"
Picard - "He played in movies too!"
Janeway - "He, that show just ended!"
Sisko - "Didn't he play in a show that ended a few years ago?"

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps