Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Cochrane's vanishing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cochrane's vanishing
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 2117, Cochrane was presumed lost. This is approximately fifty years after the flight of the Phoenix. Was he waiting out the fifty year period to see if the people of the future were honest?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, James Cromwell was 56 at the time of FC. I wonder if he'll reach 106? And somehow look like TOS's Cochrane?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Chocrane have an Alien friend that prolonged his life??

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frequent use of alcohol can make one look older than he really is.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I heard radiation doesn't do good things to your skin, too.

The whole Cochrane incident... they better address it in a conversation in an episode. Like Mayweather telling Tucker "Wow, this disappearance could be as important as Cochrane's." or a stupidity of sorts.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure hope they don't...
Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, come on. That's one of the few pseudo-historical they'll be able to manage. They're almost obligated to mention it.

Of course, we're asking for some quality when they do.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, because tiny throwaway line to please the anal fans = quality.

And I was going for the crazy idea that good writing and acting = quality. Tsk. I am humbled.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the quality comes from managing to achieve both - THAT is good writing. Its why DS9 was so good.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good continuity and good writing are not mutually exclusive, just harder.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

Liam, I didn't think you could be so retentive...

Come on, the guy made the historical fact that made their voyages possible, and it was really recent for them (less than 100 years). Being his dissappearance a mystery, I bet Cochrane turned to be their Elvis, or something.

They can't make an episode around it (with Cochrane actually present, I mean), unless they travel back in time *shudders*. The only other way is a memorial.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And good writing and nice continuity points are not as important as each other. Little touches like that are the icing on the cake. They make it a bit sweeter, but they're not vital by any means.

Besides, how often when you're driving your car do you mention Henry Ford? How often in everyday life do you mention Elvis?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

Believe me that I thought of Henry Ford too (and the Wright Brothers) while I was writing that, and I made myself the same question. The answer: I'll probably talk about any of them, or watch a documentary about any of them at least once this year (I'm already covered with Ford, thanks to the History Channel).

About Elvis, everybody loves a legend. Enough to mention it once in a while. I do remember it at least on his birthday (and I'm Argentinian).

These examples are legends, and for sure you can't help remembering a legend once in a while. That's what I was meaning with Cochrane.

I insist on the retro-continuity. Provided that it's easy to remember such a legend, I say it's plausible that they include some kind of Cochrane memorial during the series run. And no, it won't represent any kind of stretch in the plot. At all, I'm sure.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Ah. Fair enough. Personally, I am quite likely to go the entire year without watching any documentaries on Ford or the Wright Brothers, and I have no idea when Elvis' birthday is.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But we don't see the characters' entire year. We see less than twenty hours of every year. What are the chances of catching a Henry Ford reference if we take twenty hours out of an entire year of your life? Especially if we only see the interesting bits (which I doubt would include your watching the History Channel, or your discussing this here).
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps