Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » how did Hugh get independence anyway?

Author Topic: how did Hugh get independence anyway?
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean, their ship never got took offline and some how everyone on the ship got disconnected from the hive mind...or they never got hit by some borg killing pathogen....so what happened to Hugh's ship to set them all free.

Sure i know in the episold it was said Hugh himself gained a sense of individuality and spread it to his ship and hopefully the entire collective[which never happend]and they all said hey where individuals....LOL
comon this can't happend on a borg ship
its not like those drones were never individuals and never experienced it...their identities been suppressed.

And wheres the vinculum?--isn't it suppose to prevent things like this from happening or is that the Queen's job? You can't just remember your indivuality on a borg ship and even if you did-won't it just quickly get filtered out?

btw---what kind of ship was Hugh's ship---it's not really a mine is it as hinted in "Scorpion"?

[ June 14, 2001: Message edited by: TheF0rce ]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, first of all, you've got the premise of the TNG episode "I, Borg" wrong. The drone who would become Hugh was one of five drones on a small scout ship that crash landed on the surface of a planet that I wouldn't recommend spending a vacation on. Hugh was badly injured and repaired by the Enterprise crew.

Now, it's been a while since I've seen "I, Borg," but I think it was mentioned that Hugh's connection to the Borg Collective was severed for some reason. Again, I repeat that I think this was mentioned but I'm not for certain.

Through the efforts of Geordi babying Hugh, he regained his sense of individuality. He was returned to a Borg vessel that was sent to investigate the disappearance of their scout ship. His individuality spread through his portion of the collective and that lead to the events seen and described in "Descent" parts one and two.

Now, if the Collective connection was severed or disrupted, Hugh would be able to regain some of his individuality. We've seen this before in Picard and various episodes of Voyager (the Borg children, Seven of Nine, the Planet of Freed Borg, etc). It would seem that the connection with the Collective is an integral part of keeping individuality repressed in the drones.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hugh was cut off from the Collective because the Enterprise went to great lengths to jam his transmissions.
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no. i know that---Hugh gained his individuality from his disconnection from the hive mind and interaction with the E-D crew[Geordi]--d'uh

but the ship that retrieved him never got disconnected,
Hugh sent his new found individuality for a breif moment when he was relinked---that shouldn't have effected the ship since everyone on the ship was connected to the hive mind---which as you've said repress those emotions through a number of safety protocols.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...that didn't appear to be what you were talking about.

However, there is a rather gaping plot hole leading up to "Descent," yes. If assimilating an individual somehow infects the Borg with individuality, then they could never assimilate anyone at all.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the mechanism of Hugh's corruption of the local Collective was never explained, let's speculate a bit. I trust a Cube would have some sort of a subspace comm system to allow the local Drones to speak with the rest of the Collective - the individual transmitters of the Drones could not span interstellar distances. Naturally, there would be safety switches in this commlink, so that the Borg could isolate contaminated Cubes (it can't be the first time somebody tried to attack the Borg using a viruslike contaminant). So once a Cube noticed its Drones were going haywire, it would cut itself off.

So far, so good. But what about your main argument - that the Borg already are built to suppress individuality, and reassimilating Hugh should thus pose no greater threat than assimilating a typical resisting individual for the first time and suppressing his independence? I can only think of two things.

One, perhaps the key here is that Hugh did not resist. He accepted assimilation, and was rubber-stamped as "reliable" without further inspection. The auto-suppression system might only be turned on when the assimilee is deemed unreliable to begin with.

Two, and this sounds a little more plausible: perhaps Hugh's individualistic desires were something the Collective was *curious* about? In "Dark Frontier", the ruling Queen claims 7 of 9 is the first Drone to regain individuality (and then return to be analyzed). Hugh would have been another precedent, and possibly something the Collective would very much want to analyze carefully before erasing his individuality. Too bad the analysis backfired badly, and ruined a whole Cubeful of Borg before the limiters cut in...

This was supposed to be the mechanism of the "visual weapon" Geordi and Data devised, too. The weapon would not try to propagate aggressively - instead, it would arouse the curiosity of the Borg, who would then fall deeper and deeper into its clutches due to their desire to find out more about the weapon. They would not see it as a threat until it was too late.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe, at this point in the series, it had been astablished that the Borg assimilated peopel in the manner that we know they do today. Wasn't it still kind of thought that the Borg were there own species?

In other words, the writers figured that drones were born into the Collective and had never experienced individuality, therefore it would come as a shock to them.

The Borg just weren't very fleshed out at this point, IMHO

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And who says Picards plan with Hugh did not work out?

We've seen numerous cases of individuality in the Collective in VOY. The Unamatrix Zero, the stranded ex-borg, Seven of Nine, the children, etc.

It seems like the Collective is still far from perfect.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

GB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oy
IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never bought the "impossible visual" answer anyway. As Phil Farrend pointed out, going by Geordi and Data's logic, the Borg could have been destroyed my an M C Echer drawing.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TheF0rce
Member # 533

yeah,really
would the world end becuase everyone in it had a hard time solving lets say the rubix cube?

TheF0rce
Member # 533

btw
heres the vinculum summary
[didn't want to start a new post topic over it]

http://morrison.easynet.fr/~scifiart/_upload_/vincp_1.jpg
http://morrison.easynet.fr/~scifiart/_upload_/vincp_2.jpg

i think the vinculum is the stand in for a borg queen on a local ship level---and it should have been responsible for bringing some order back to chaos that Hugh might have cuased.

[ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: TheF0rce ]

[ June 16, 2001: Message edited by: Charles Capps ]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell is this???

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

TheF0rce
Member # 533

clarify?
you never seen the vinculum or can't see the pic?

i hope its not a spoiler too you...oh my god.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do. Not. Inline. Huge. Images. Hyperlinks are your friend.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps