Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » I think I've finally figured it out...

Author Topic: I think I've finally figured it out...
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was noodling to myself about why it seems Trek has been getting increasingly bland as time has gone on, and I think I may have hit on it...

Much of the Original Series, and most of The Animated Series were television episodes written by science-fiction authors -- of varying degrees of noteriety, from David Gerrold to Larry Niven. So what we got was hardcore SF tweaked to fit the contemporary '60s and '70s television "allowances"...

But by the time of Star Trek II, and from that point on, Trek was being written by professional Hollywood screen- and television writers, so what we got was the same fare that could be found many other places, just in a different setting... And it's only gotten worse as time has progressed. Far too many of the people working on the shows and movies now just don't "get it". Even the extreme Trek fans who grew up loving TOS -- like Mike Okuda and Greg Jein -- have never done enough research into why things were the way they were, or stopped to try and get inside the head of whoever (be it Gene or Matt Jeffries) to actually see what they were trying to convey rather than just the appearance of the finished result.

That's it in a nutshell. I could continue ranting at length, but I won't until y'all have had a chance to reply.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only problem with that is that if you ask most people what their favourite series was, I bet the most popular answer isn't TOS. Including the non-hard core fans, it'll be TNG. And TNG is the basis for modern Trek far more than TOS is.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theodore Sturgeon was a great author. But he wrote "Shore Leave". Hardly a shining example of cutting edge science fiction, I think.

Gerrold did write "The Trouble With Tribbles," which remains the favorite of many. (My father, on the other hand, despises that one. I could go either way.)

So I think that you can argue that the overall contribution of written SF authors to Trek is not quite so important. To go with what Liam has said, I would be willing to bet small amounts of money that "The Best of Both Worlds" tops the lists of many fans, even those, such as myself, who fondly remember TOS. (In my case, TOS repeats.) And Pillar, to the best of my knowledge, has never written a novel, science fiction or otherwise.

Having said that, I'd trade my right arm for a Borg episode written by Vernor Vinge.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do see your point, and concur in some degree. But I think the majority of Trekkers today would point to TNG as their favourite. Some of that show's best episodes were written by quality writers, one of the best being Ronald Moore, in my opinion. Many of his weren't just standard fair Star Trek stories, but great scieince fiction. I cite the following examples as coming from pen of Moore: (in some cases co-written with others)

The Defector
Family
Reuunion
Data's Day
First Contact
In Theory
Redemption 1 & 2
Darmok
Disaster
The Next Phase
Relics
Chain of Command
Tapestry
Gambit
The Pegasus
Thine Own Self
Journey's End
All Good Things

Many would agree that a lot of these are top episodes written by a very talented writer. But I agree in most recent years Voyager has lacked a cutting edge of writing quality.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, Star Trek was created by Gene Roddenberry. Now, you can say many things about Gene, but he wasn's a sci-fi author. He was, yup, a Hollywood screenwriter.

And you did kind of shoot yourself in the foot by using the Animated Series in your "good sci-fi writers" list. TAS is hardly a shining example of, well, anything good.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"First Contact" (the episode) was written by six or eight people. Hardly fair to credit to just one person.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you should be at least happy that ST:X is being written by a long time Star Trek fan as oppose to someone who's probably never watched an episode before getting the job.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you suppose there's some sort of Cliff's Notes for writers who haven't followed the series? I mean, like a kind of kit that says, you can do A, you can do B, but you can't do C. I mean if a writer hasn't seen a single episode there must be some way the producers can clue the in to the series without strapping them down Clockwork Orange style and making them watch all of the episodes.

I would personally love to see a Jack Vance or Gene Wolfe episode.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yes. It's called a writer's bible. All TV shows have them.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

However, even ignoring that, when would a situation like you describe come up? If someone is trying to sell a script, then of course they'd watch the show before hand, because otherwise they'd have no idea who any of the characters are, or anything. If they're on the writing team, then they'd (presumably) know about the show. If the production people have approached a writer especially to write something, then even though they'd give them a copy of the writers bible, they'd still expect them to watch a couple of episodes, to get a "feel" for the show.

You might be able to find the TNG, DS9 or VOy bible on-line. I found the original Transformers one once, which was fairly cool. I lost the URl though, damnit.

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Making of Deep Space Nine has quite a few excerpts from the DS9 bible, but other than that I'm nearly positive that the three bibles aren't publicly available.

(BTW, this is General Trek's 10000th post. Wahooey!)

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: You mean this "Transformers" bible?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In the beginning, Unicron created the heavens and the Earth..."

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yes! That one!

And silly Tom. Primus created the heavens and the, er, Cybertron. Unicron is the devil. Silly monkey.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps