Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » NASA vs. ISA

Author Topic: NASA vs. ISA
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading over Bernd's timeline, I found something interesting that I wasn't aware of before: Both NASA and ISA existed at the same time! ISA (International Space Agency?) sent the Ares IV to Mars, but then five or so years later, NASA launched the Charybdis. Wouldn't it have made more sense for ISA to have evolved from NASA instaed of being a separate agency?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if ISA is an international organization, it could be similar to the situation we have now. An "ISA" of sorts building the International Space Station while NASA continues to run its own seperate program. (I know! I know! Bad analogy...)

In the Star Trek timeline, the ISA launches an international effort to reach Mars which results in the Ares IV. Later, NASA, not affiliated with the ISA, spearheads its own program, launching Charybdis.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called ignorance of continuity. Someone felt like mentioning an "International Space Agency", but didn't realize that TNG had already established that NASA was still around at the time. Though, as has been pointed out, it doesn't really matter. The idea of an international effort being launched while NASA is still doing other stuff on its own isn't really a problem.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it's not as much a continuity error as it might seem, really. In the real world, the reference to the continuing existence of NASA came earlier than the reference to ISA - so ignoring NASA in "One Small Step" would indeed have been a continuity error. But NASA *wasn't* ignored. A recent Fact Files sheet had some stuff on the Ares ship, and included pics of the logos painted on the ship. In addition to a catchall ISA logo, there appeared to be more "nationally oriented" logos, NASA among them. Evidently, NASA was just one minor (major?) member in this greater ISA whole.

Generally speaking, it would be pretty strange if anything "international" would surpass anything "national" during the first half of the Trek 21st century - especially if the "national" was American. Nationalism was still very much alive during that era, and no doubt played a major role in WWIII as well. It's only after "First Contact" that one could plausibly see international organizations taking over from national ones in matters of importance.

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were ESA and the Russian space program (does their organisation have a name?) also represented?
I know it had the Dutch flag somewhere on her hull..

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Generally speaking, it would be pretty strange if anything "international" would surpass anything "national" during the first half of the Trek 21st century

Not necessarily... if there was some sort of joint mission that was intended to prevent another costly space race (like the moon missions). I don't think the other nations would want to have a big NASA logo prominently displayed on the Mars orbiter that way, since they contributed as well. They'd want equal credit, so to speak.

The interesting thing, though, is that the background of the ISA logo is very similar (or identical) to the current blue-circle-and-red-delta symbol that NASA uses, only with the letters changed. Perhaps this was done to make it more of a global effort than an American-led effort.

I agree that this arrangement probably developed from the International Space Station... but unlike the ISS, the Mars program might have taken place at a point where the other nations had more equal access to space. Right now, the Americans and the Russians are the only routes for manned space travel.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps