Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Coincidence (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Coincidence
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One day I was looking at a magazine which showed symbols used by aircraft carrier planes during WWII. For example, planes belonging to the Yorktown CV-10 had a Y, the Hornet an H.

When I came up to the USS Enterprise CV-6 it had an arrowhead identical to that of Star Trek's. In TOS the arrowhead was unique to the Enterprise. I find it more than a coincidence that two ships with the same name would also have the same symbol.

I never heard of this connection, but thought maybe someone else had. I wrote this question to The Magazine, but they only answer the really easy stuff.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, maybe Roddenberry took it from the carrier when he designed TOS. He did serve on the Enterprise in WWII, which is why he chose that name (at least that's what I've been told).

Explaining it in the universe: When 1701 came along, all ships had the unique symbol thing goin on and April or whoever chose the arrowhead from CV-6. For ENT and Friendship One, the early/pre Starfleet chose it because it represented both Naval tradition and space exploration/future/etc.

But as for the reality of whether it's a coincidence or not? I have no idea.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Gene Roddenberry was a bomber pilot. They didn't launch bombers from aircraft carriers, AFAIK. Too short of a runway.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christ, even with Pearl Harbor people still don't know who the hell Col. Jimmy Doolittle was.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jimmy Doolittle launched a group of B-25 mitchel bombers on a bombing raid on Tokyo. off the U.S.S hornet. the deck obviously wasn't too short then eh? i guess you people have been spending more time in sci-fi land than in your grade 11 history class.

also nearly, if not all of doolittles planes ran out of fuel and crashed. i believe in either china or russia. i can't remember.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USAF has flown U-2s and even C-130s from carrier decks (and the Dutch at one point seriously considered selling Fokker 100 jets to the USN for COD planes), yet this is hardly standard practice or even a frequent occurrence. For Roddenberry to have flown something counting as "bomber" and owned by the USAAF instead of the Navy, he'd practically have to have been in the Doolittle raid himself!

Timo Saloniemi

Da_bang80
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as for mr. too short of runway, warplanes of that era could be considered S.t.o.ls now adays, as they could take off from a carrier deck unassisted. witch is also a whole lot smaller than today's Nimitz class.
sorry if i sound like a history channel guy but i like history, specially world war 2.

--------------------
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Doolittle barely managed to avoid hitting the water... his B-25 dropped like a rock after he cleared the "runway", due to its large payload. It was that downward plunge which gave the plane enough speed to stay airborne. Unassisted takeoff (they throttled the engines up to full emergency power while holding the brakes, IIRC) perhaps, but not a pretty one.

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: The_Evil_Lord ]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if Roddenbury serverd aboard the Enterprise or not, but I remember hearing that the original name of Star Trek's ship was to be the Yorktown before they decided on Enterprise. At least that's what I remember hearing.

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: Aban Rune ]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Da_bang80
Member # 528

i guess Enterprize sounded cooler at the time.

i do remember reading about Doolittle having to max the engines to take off. i also remember that to save weight, he had the rear guns removed and replaced with painted broomsticks. he also had most of the regular bomb load replaced with extra fuel.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the name was changed to pay homage to the (fairly) new world's first nuclear carrier.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. I would like to remind you, however, that the USS Hornet was approximately 79 feet longer oa, 113 feet longer runway-wise, than the USS Enterprise, (if I'm reading Jane's correctly). Does not 80-100 feet make a rather large difference in terms of takeoff space? Especially with an unassisted bomber?

And, yes, I know they could be considered S.T.O.L.'s nowadays, but back then is not nowadays. With the technology to be had then, a fully laden bomber might have been able to lift off precariously from an aircraft carrier, but it would have been very very close. Every foot would have counted.

P.S. I never saw Pearl Harbor.

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: Daniel ]

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

Daniel
Member # 453

Whoops! Major mistake on my part. The USS Hornet of 1941 was of the same class as the USS Enterprise. The USS Hornet of 1943 (Ex-USS Kearsarge) was of the newer, longer, Essex-class. Sorry everyone!

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, as far as I know, Roddenberry was an Air Force man...well, Army Air Force at the time, I suppose. And he had considered Yorktown as a name for his ship, but decided on Enterprise because he thought it sounded better, and not, as far as I know, to tie into the real ship of the same name.

That is, as far as I know.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite so. He was a co-pilot on B-17s and B-25s, flying off of South Pacific island airstrips. He was never in the Navy and it shows in his original rank structure for "The Cage" (remember Spock as being a "1st Lieutenant"?).

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps