Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » comm system question

Author Topic: comm system question
TorgaDaxIV
Member # 617

- posted      Profile for TorgaDaxIV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive thought long and hard about this and have no clue as to what the answer could possibly be. my question is this: how the hell does the computer just automatically know that when picard is in his ready room and in normal volume to active the comm when he says "commander riker could you please come to my ready room" or when on the bridge he just says "engineering" or "lt. laforge" in normal volume and the computer knows to active the comm. can anyone explain this whole comm system to me?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean, in a way that answers those problems, and the nine million other communication discrepencies we've seen over the past 13 years?

No.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The computers probably have advanced Artificial Intelligence to distinguish computer commands from normal conversation.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called a script.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the tech. manual does go into this a little bit. What the computer is listening for isn't just someone's name, but someone's name (or location) mentioned in a specific format. "Bridge to Crewman Yorke," for instance. The computer then locates Crewman Yorke, opens up the audio link (and presumably replays the "Bridge to Crewman Yorke" bit that it just recorded), and the bridge is free to order him to go do things, or just to have a nice chat.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another possibility is that, contrary to the Tech Manual information, our heroes have their Universal Translators implanted in their ears (just like Quark and friends had in "Little Green Men"). These UTs would be equipped with advanced brain-scanning systems and algorithms that decide when a person wants his words translated and when not. (If the device is gonna brain-scan, then it HAS to be very good at deciding when to blurt out the scan results and when not to!)

It would then be a trivially simple matter to tie this system into the shipwide comm network. The UT would relay the intent of the speaker to the comm system, which would then take care of relaying his voice when appropriate, and ignoring it when required.

And a brain-scanning, implanted UT would naturally be able to predict (to some degree) what a person was saying, with a second or two of advance warning before the intent became speech. That would be essential in translating, so that the device could change the word order in real time to match the grammar rules of the language it's translating into. Again, the comm system could easily tap into this function of the UT, and use it to predict whom the speaker wants to call.

This would solve the mystery of how "Riker to Picard" gets routed right in its entirety even though the identity of the receiver is revealed only at the end of the sentence. Thanks to the predictive UT, the comm system would *know* that Riker's next words would be "to Picard", so it would start piping Riker's words to Picard's comm badge straight from Riker's first deep inhalation, and not wait for the word "Picard".

Is there any comm discrepancy a mind-reading UT implant wouldn't solve? I think not. If we assume that standard UT implants aren't good at translating utterly unknown languages, and that the commbadge-based translator is needed in such situations, then this explains things like "Basics" and "Gravity" nicely - in those cases, the heroes made first contact with the aliens without the benefit of commbadges or shipboard computers, so the alien language was untranslatable. In other instances where the crew was deprived of their badges, they had already spoken with the aliens earlier and their implanted UTs could thus have been appropriately updated.

Whew! I guess that any comment on the comm systems or the UT will always be either a snide one-liner or then a miles-long rant like this. It's in the nature of the beast.

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three (all right, four) words: I don't like implants.

The idea of everyone in Starfleet needing implants just to function normally, does not fit my view of the enlightened 24th century human race (or what's left of that...).

[ June 28, 2001: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is having a mechanical babelfish in your ear not "enlightened"?
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had a problem justifying the methods employed in intra-ship communication. It always seemed obvious to me that these could be explanations on how it works:

"Picard to Commander Riker"

Using the internal sensors the Computer automatically detects Riker's location due to his Combadge. It then simply routes the message to the nearest interface panel to his location.

Or

It's a simple demonstration of basic wireless networking, the Communicator sends the message to his combadge, identified by a built in transponder, and a small in-built speaker relays the message.

No mystery really.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps