Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Next Trek movie? ($$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Next Trek movie? ($$$)
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the status of the next movie? I remember there being a script that many people were enthusiastic about, but what's going on now? Are they shooting? Pre-production? What?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's status is unchanged, really, as far as official word goes. I imagine that means they're still working on the script.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logan's on the third draft, AFAIK. Everyone's signed, the light is green but there's no director yet.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that it will go up against Star Wars episode II, but I can't possibly see that happening. I'm really looking forward to it, as I do every even numbered movie. And IMHO its about time the Romulans got involved on the big screen.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if the next Star Wars movie is as delightful as Episode 1, trek x will wipe it out.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, from what Logan's done in the past and what the hopes are for this movie, it's going to be pretty good.

Also, from what I've read on the net, SW2 is going to be pretty damned good.

IMHO, ST:X and SW2 are going to be evenly matched if released at the same time.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't really matter if episode 2 is good or bad. It'll still be no 1.

Releasing Trek X at the same time is commercial suicide. You will not get as good figures as if it was released against something that wasn't direct competition.

More people would see Trek X and Episode 2 if they were released at different times than together.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About a month before Episode II might be a good time, actually. The Matrix debuted around then with respect to Episode I, IIRC, and cashed in quite handsomely on the building impatience in the SW audience. It then had its box office crest and naturally slide down before the behemoth sank it. Indeed, many people were so disappointed with Ep. I that Matrix did rather well in the weeks that followed the Ep. I release, with a lot of people going to see it again.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Christopher:
[QB]...from what I've read on the net, SW2 is going to be pretty damned good...[QB]

I remember getting all the internet hype and build up to Episode 1.. look what happened there.

Episode II is supposed to be a more 'gentle love story'. Ugh. I'll still see it, but it will be after i've seen Trek X a couple of times.

also -- i'll take matrix over any SW film any day

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading somewhere, where they were discussing Directors... and it wasn't going to be Frakes or Burton (Le Var not Tim) oh, that's right Leonard Nimoy! YES!

Also, I think that they should maybe get James Horner back!?! Just not Jerry Goldsmith AGAIN!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have we had the composer discussion before? I can't remember.

After FC, I was looking forward to another film with Goldsmith. After Insurrection, I want a change. Aren't we fickle?

Horner would be nice. I wouldn't have minded Chris Eidelman (or whatever), cause I love the ST VI score. So dark, brooding, and energetic. But apparently his recent scores have been shit.

Howsabout Danny Elfman?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horner would be a good choice for the score IMO

But as for when the films debut, it won't matter to me if they screen alongside one another, like other die hard fans of the genre, I'd of course see them both without question.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there are box office issues to consider. Psychology of the movie-going public and all that. I wouldn't want my film to open next to Episode II, simply because Lucas is going to take the number one spot opening weekend, regardless of quality, and everything seems to revolve around that first weekend's gross these days. However, Tom makes a good point in that a healthy opening (which Phantom Menace had, again, regardless of how we might feel about it in hindsight) for one film can raise the prospects for lots of following films during the season. "Hey, movies are good this month, let's see more."

Anyway, I would be surprised to see them move from the Thanksgiving-Christmas date. It seems like a decent spot for a Trek film. They aren't exactly intended to be or marketed as ultra-blockbuster epics.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Yes, I would also expect a trek film to debut during the regular late November slot, but are you talking about next year? Trek X won't open in 2001 for sure. In fact, the SW connection was the only thing I heard, I couldn't hope to estimate at a reaslistic release date.

I think the general hammering TPM got will not in the slightest affect episode II. It will be massive even it's no improvement on episode I. I didn't like the movie much, but I will happily watch it on video every now and again simply for the pod race which in my mind remains possibly the most spectaclar sequence I've ever seen on a cinema screen.

Also remember The Lord of The Rings (The Fellowship of The Rings) which will debut at Christmas. That's set to break all box records, so I doubt any other big rival picture would want to challenge it until well after the Christmas period

--------------------

The ASDB

Wes
Member # 212

Goldsmith is still my favorite he knows how to underscore all the themes at the right times. (like the klingon theme when Worf does something cool)
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps