Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The inner light "Katan system"

Author Topic: The inner light "Katan system"
Kosa
Member # 650

- posted      Profile for Kosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has caught my attention when ive watched this episode and i was wondering if someone could clear this up for me.

In the episode "The inner light" when Picard is asking questions about where he is and what planet he is on, he gets the answer "the planet Katan". Later in the episode when Geordi and Data track the origins of the probe back to a system they name it the Katan system. Yet data informs that the all life was extinguished a 1000 years ago via the supernova of the systems sun. I was wondering how they could have had the exact same name for the system as the original people had. The only explanation i have for this is that maybe the name was found on some expedition to the planet in which artifacts were found, but then they would have to dicipher the language.

Could someone clear this up for me.

And please dont get impatient with me if the answer is obvious

Oh and a nitpick while im at it. How could a race that is only just beginning to send rockets into space be able to develop a probe that could do all that to Picard

--------------------
More human than human -Blade Runner

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, one of a number of faults with this otherwise excellent episode. See some of the common nitpicks, and conjectural explanations on my site here:

http://www.trekmania.net/conference/inconsistencies_2.htm

(scroll down for 'The Inner Light')

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and a nitpick while im at it. How could a race that is only just beginning to send rockets into space be able to develop a probe that could do all that to Picard?

Never underestimate technology of some particular inhabitants....

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... Isn't this obvious? If the probe could put images into Picard's mind, there's no reason it couldn't take information out, also. How else could everyone in his "dream" be speaking English? Presumably, the probe got the name "Kataan" out of Picard's mind (or even the ship's computer, now that I think about it). Also, I'm sure there was no difficulty putting a chronometer in the thing, so it would know how long it had been floating in space. It would use the information it got from Picard to convert that time into Earth years.
Kosa
Member # 650

- posted      Profile for Kosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
um well this could be an explanation but i have some problems with it. Why would the people of Katan make the probe do this? I mean what would be the point in planning for the probe to do that. The probes purpose was to show Picard their civilisation so it would not be forgoten. There would be no reason why their scientists would make shaw that their name for their planet would match the one Starfleet had for the system. Picard could simply correct it when he came back.

And about the years. I dont have any problem with the years so ill take into account that you picked up that point from Red Barrens site where he mentions it
Thanks for the replies guys

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: Kosa ]

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: Kosa ]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easy about the name. The name could have been known from 'legend'. Or in the histories of other races that had visited Katan before they were wiped out... sorta like Guinan visiting Earth in the 19th century. El-Aurians could have even visited Katan?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I dont have any problem with the years so ill take into account that you picked up that point from Red Barrens site where he mentions it"

Um... What site?

Kosa
Member # 650

The site mentioned above but dont worry about it. Its not a problem.

I was thinking along the same lines AndrewR. But instead i was thinking that it may have been picked up from the Vulcans. Ill accept yours

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Kosa ]

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you mean my site, I'm Red Admiral, not Red Barren (?) Lol.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Kosa
Member # 650

Hahahaha lol, the arival of the first time ive made an arse of my self.
It was quite late over here when i made that post.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps