Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "If I wear orange, what am I?"

Author Topic: "If I wear orange, what am I?"
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Background
In the episode "The Devil in the Dark", the planet Janus 6 is the setting of a story. This young colony, founded in 2217, is home to approximately 90 miners. These miners wear variations of the Starfleet uniforms of Capt. Kirk's crew.

Questions
I have two questions on these uniforms.
1st Question
There are three colors-yellow, orange, and purple. I have determined the division for yellow. This is command. Chief Engineer Vandenburg, who supervises the colony, wears this color.
The other two colors I am less sure of their division. Schmitter, who is killed by the Horta, and Roberts, who acted as guard outside of Vandenburg's office, wear orange. This is the most common color.
Ed Appel, Chief Processing Engineer, wears the third color-purple. His uniform is seen only on him.
I would like to hear suggestions from the reader on what these colors-orange, purple-represent divisionally.

2nd Question
On the left collar of every miner, there is a pin. Could this be like the ship or branch insignias as worn by the crew of the USS Enterprise?

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are these miners working directly from Starfleet? If not, then these miners and color uniforms are from a private organization then.

Oh, if you wear orange then I would consider you a fruit.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First Question:
I can't find my tape of "Devil in the Dark." So, I'll be flying from memory (scary thought, I know). Yellow seems to be the traditional color in TOS for command (granted, Kirk's tunic flucuated from green to yellow) except for starbase command (different topic altogether). This guess is logical. The other two colors are bit trickier. Chief Processing Engineer is department-head position. If he's the only other "chief" in the episode other than Vandenburg, purple could be used to distinguish department heads. Depending on the function of the other engineers, perhaps this color signifies the industrial engineering department? Chief Processing Engineerings sound like an industrial or civil engineering position. If the other engineers were simply the ones running the equipment and supervising ground operations, the orange could be used to signify the mechanical engineering department.

Second Question:
This could indicate: 1) the Janus 6 mining operation, 2) the Starfleet Corps of Engineers Mining Division, or 3) the Starfleet Corps of Engineers. I'd say right off the bat 2 and 3 are not plausible since TOS didn't show across-the-service insignia. Each ship had a different logo; I suspect each SFCoE operation had a different logo as well.

And in response to Michael_T's comment, I find orange to be a very sexy color. A lovely young lady named Meredith turned me on to the color orange. Same goes for lime green, vibrant violent, and perriwinkle. She had a thing for off-colors.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you had Des O'Conner in your country, you'd find orange the least sexy colour possible.

*tries to think of a US equivalent*

*fails*

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait! Got one!

I am slightly amazed that Seiggy finds Velma Dinkley attractive. Still, I suppose someone had to.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Velma from Scooby Doo? Oh yeah, she's hot. The smart quiet ones are always the best.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still trying to picture the vibrant violent one.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what's an off-colour garment? One that's off, and lying on the bedroom floor?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

"I am still trying to picture the vibrant violent one...."

Daphne? She wasn't especially violent.

--------------------

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vandenburg said "we'll all be rich". So he must belong to a private company.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

::ahem:: The color I meant was vibrant violet. V-I-O-L-E-T. Geez, I mispell one word and creates a forum outcry.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treknophyle: What on Earth are you talking about?

Oh. Right. The topic.

:-)

GoranAgar
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you wear orange, you are dutch!
IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you wear plaid, you live on borrowed time.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps