Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Generations saucer crash sequence

Author Topic: Generations saucer crash sequence
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of years back, Star Trek - The Exhibition was in Cologne. They showed a documentary about the making of Generations on a large videoscreen. It featured a detailed part about the filming of the saucer crash sequence.
At the time I asked if it was possible to buy that video. I was told that it had been on sale in the US.
Has anybody seen this making-of video? And do you know whether it can be found on the Web?

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was given out free here in Australia a long time ago, when you bought a Star Trek video... mine's upstairs on my shelf.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great. You are to be envied. Why can't they do this promotion here in Germany. After all those Trek videos I bought I should definitely be entitled to such a treat.
But I suppose you don't have any possibility to convert this to mpg and post it?
Anyone else, by any chance?

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Austin Powers ]

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the same in the UK. The making of Generations was a free video at the time of the movie's release. I doubt it's still available anywhere now.

Making an Mpeg of it would be highly impractical, for it was be huge in size, probably 100's of megs. I could do one, but my ISP wouldn't allow such a large chunk of data to be uploaded, nor would any free server store it.

If you've got something like the sci-fi channel look out for late night slot fillers, I've seen things like this documentary screened every now and then in the fashion.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I could make a DivX rip of my copy... the only problem is storage space. I don't know any (free or otherwise) hosting provider that would allow such a large file to be uploaded.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Evil_Lord:
Well, I could make a DivX rip of my copy... the only problem is storage space. I don't know any (free or otherwise) hosting provider that would allow such a large file to be uploaded.

How large do you think the file would be? If you do make a copy of it, you can upload it to my ftp site if you'd like to.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a DivX copy of The Matrix. It's almost 600MB. But it's fairly large, and obviously longer than the documentary would be. If you rip it at a smaller screen size and a lower quality, it might be manageable...
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

That would be so great. I wouldn't need the whole thing, just the part about the making of the saucer crash. (Although I wouldn't mind having the whole program you know )
Some time ago I downloaded several episodes of Red Dwarf (mpg format), each at around 250 megs. Took me about five hours per episode - so I'm used to long downloads. Yet, anything larger than 400 megs would be just too much IMHO.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the DivX version of The Matrix as well... let's see now, that's a high-quality rip, approximately 120 minutes in length, and nearly 600 MB in size. The Generations video is about 30 minutes long, so a DivX rip of the same quality would weigh in at a fairly reasonable 150 MB. I'll see what I can do
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

Greeeaaat. (Am I sounding too much like Tony the Tiger? )
That would really "make my day". Or my week, month,... for that matter.
Thanx a lot in advance for all your help!

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is in this documentary? I'm just wondering if they would show or explain the scene with the shuttles on the saucer section near the end of the movie.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

Don't expect that. It's just a plain and simple making-of documentary, yet quite a good one IMHO. That's why I'm so keen on getting it.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you live again?? Germany? What is the video conversion thingy there... Pal NTSC? or is it Seacam?? (is that correct) maybe someone in Europe who has a copy could just COPY it on to a cassette tape!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Germany's PAL I think. Don't quote me, but I believe only the French (and certain breeds of canine) use Seacam.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

Ok, I'm back from vacation.
You're right, we have the PAL system here in Germany. Unfortunately I don't know anyone in Germany who has that tape.
That's why I posted this thread hoping someone might have it.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps