my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "Catspaw" questions

Author Topic: "Catspaw" questions
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question One (Q1)
Lt. V. Desalle says "...credit to navy beans...". Does anyone here know what he is referring to?

Q2
The starship Enterprise is said to have at least three reactors for the impulse engines. Do we know the exact count of reactors, and where they are located?

Q3
Mr. Okuda has stated that a starbase is mentioned in this episode. I believe the starbase is SB 9. I be darned, but I couldn't find a reference to this starbase in the episode. Did he take the information from an unaired segment of the script?

Thank you.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) No idea, except that perhaps there is a tradition in the Navy for the crew to gamble on beans when gambling for money is forbidden?

2) In "The Doomsday Machine", a reference was made to a single reactor. No location was ever given, really. But at least "Obsession" seems to confirm that the impulse engines themselves are where later movies show them to be - on the aft rim of the saucer. Here, dialogue establishes that the impulse drive is offline and a valve of some sort is left open to space, and the vampire cloud enters through the said valve; and the VFX shows the cloud entering through the rear of the saucer (IIRC).

3) Phil Farrand's excellent Nitpicker's Guide should help. I'll go and check if the reference was in the syndication cuts somewhere.

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This double post avoiding feature works well...

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beaten you.

Hmm. It doesn't say exactly, but there is a large section deleted out which features the Enterprise crew trying to find the landing party. It could be in there.

*shudders* I've just remembered what Checkov's hair looked like in this episode.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The oldest Star Trek continuity fix i ever figured out when i was a kid refers to Catspaw.. it was chekov's first appearance, and the stardate for Catspaw predates the stardate for Space Seed, when Khan supposedly met Chekov (offscreen, and in the bathroom according to some convention attendees in 1988) before he was on the cast

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Chekov might of been on the Enterprise, just not as a bridge officer.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yes. The only evidence we have regarding Chekov first being on the Enterprise is from "I, Mudd", where he implies that he wasn't on the Enterprise during "Mudd's women".

But since Mudd's Women was sometime before "Space Seed", there's plenty of time for him to get assigned.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps