Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Author Topic: Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time I saw the film, it was already to long and slow for me but now they're adding more? I mean good god man why make it longer? I know the Director's Cut is big thing now but couldn't Mr. Wise make it shorter?

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think they are trimming it slightly. They're adding scences, but existing ones are likely to be "tightened", and I think some of the SFX scenes will be shortened.

If not, well, we've got a great cure for insomnia.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well its DVD so we can easily skip the ten minute beauty shot of the Enterprise and other similar scenes.

I heard that the scene with Nogura is going to be added. Any truth to that?

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the Director's Edition of TMP, my understanding is that the primary changes are
a) doing a proper edit to get the pace up
b) incorporation of some small bits of dialogue (most of which were seen in the Special Longer Version)
c) a new sound mix including many effects that were created for the film but never included because they ran out of time
d) remastered effects shots to clean up matte lines and other compositing problems, and finally
e) all new CGI created effects based on the original production art and storyboards for the film.

It's also been confirmed that we won't be seeing the original spacewalk featuring both Kirk and Spock, because filming on it was stopped before all of it was shot.

As to Admiral Nogura, no draft of the shooting script for the film that I've ever encountered features it. This is further reinforced by the set construction list on page 95 of The Making of Star Trek--The Motion Picture, there's no reference to it, although there are references to sets build for other scenes that were scrapped (like the original spacewalk). The Nogura scene was written for the Star Trek Phase II TV movie pilot that evolved into TMP, but it seems clear that it was dropped from thr script before the movie started shooting.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a magazine article from back in 1992, asking why there was never a push to put back in cut scenes from TMP... the article gave like 12 different sections and reason why each would have been and improvement... I should go and fish that mag out - type it up - and then we can compare the DVD to this article...

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps